1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this a lost cause and I will need to returf?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Faye34667, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Faye34667

Faye34667 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, I am a compete novice when it comes to gardening and wondered if someone could give me some advice about my lawn or what is left of it! I have attached photos. It started with a few weeds that I tried to remove from the garden but they returned along with more. After using a ‘weed and feed’ treatment, this seemed to kill the grass and feed and the weeds! Now the garden is overrun with a mixture of weeds. Is this a complete lost cause and I will need to returf or is it possible to fix this? If I need to returf, how can I make sure that I kill the weeds for good so they do not destroy the new lawn? Thank so much in advance

Attached Files:

2. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +611
    It dosnt look as bad as some lawns ive seen so I dont think its a lost cause but i am unsure what to do but i know someone on the forum will know

3. Faye34667

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your reply Janet, hope so.

4. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    When did you apply the weed and feed and what did you apply?
    Weed killers depending on what you used contain several chemicals to hit weeds, some weeds are resilient, some are immune.
    If the grass is weak and stressed a lawn weed killer can kill the grass as well as a feed if applied at a rate above the recommended level. For weed and feeds to work best they need to be applied correctly at the given rate and evenly.
    I’m not seeing that much grass in the photo, if you have very little grass showing under the weed then I’m afraid it’s a case of clearing the weed and seeding or putting down new turf.
    I would lightly rake with a spring rake the area carefully to remove the weed to see what’s going on with the grass. If it’s void of grass then you have to think about what Ive suggested.
    Don’t apply any weed killer or feed until you have raked it and if possible post back a picture so we can see what condition the soil and turf is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Faye34667

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi Liz, thanks for your reply. I applied the weed and feed last summer, it was an evergreen all in one. I think looking back I may have probably applied too much and this may be the problem. I will definitely try what you have suggested and rake the lawn to see how much grass is remaining, I doubt there will be much to be honest, I will post a photo when this is done. I have tried in the past to plant grass seed and haven’t been very successful, have you any tips for the best time and way to go about this? Thanks again

• Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,259
      Hi Faye, thanks for posting back.
      Last summer was hot and I saw many a lawn damaged with feeds due to the heat and lack of water.
      If you fancy trying yourself to seed it’s fairly easy but do you mind posting a pic showing the lawn and it’s surrounding area as it might be a case of being too shady or constantly damp, over hanging trees and so on. Gives us an idea of what is best for you.