1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved Is this a Pieris?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Head Gardener's Dogsbody, May 7, 2022.

1. Head Gardener's Dogsbody

Head Gardener's Dogsbody Gardener

Ratings:
    +46
    Hello fellow gardeners. Today I saw this Pieris-like shrub in a friend's garden. Unfortunately, she doesn't know what it is! The flowers look for all the world like Pieris. The leaves also look Pieris-like. However, there are details that don't resemble any Pieris I've seen before. For a start, commonly occurring Pieris like 'Forest Flame' have their leaves arranged in a whorl or spiral. This shrub has them arranged alternately. Also, note the drooping habit of the plant, quite unlike thew upright habit of Pieris. Note also that although the leaf petioles are red, the leaves are uniformly green. This is quite unlike the distinctive redness of juvenile leaves on common piers. I'd appreciate any help identifying this beautiful shrub - I'd like it for my own garden! Thanks in advance for any help. Andy.

Screenshot 2022-05-07 at 23.26.59.png

Screenshot 2022-05-07 at 23.26.13.png

2. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,508
    Its a Leucothoe

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Head Gardener's Dogsbody

Head Gardener's Dogsbody Gardener

Ratings:
      +46
      Brilliant! Well done Perki and Thank You very much! You've given me the Genus - the best species match I've been able to make is Leucothoe fontanesiana. According to the RHS (Leucothoe fontanesiana | dog hobble Shrubs/RHS Gardening) it appears to prefer shade or partial shade, clay and poor drainage! It's a highly unusual plant that will tolerate that combination of conditions and be so pretty. Anyway, thanks once again Perki, Andy,

• Like Like x 1