1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

I've Cancelled My TV Licence

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Nursewhen, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Nursewhen

Nursewhen Gardener

Configuration management analyst
    Ratings:
    +45
    Christmas day and the only thing I went out of my way to watch was Dr Who.

I've noticed over time that I watch more and more DVDs and less and less TV.

I've been thinking about cancelling it for a while, but didn't because the BBC do produce some good dramas (Jekyl, Life on Mars, Dr Who etc) in amongst the surfeit of reality TV/phone in dross. They also produce the World Service, a lifeline to people abroad.

What decided me was discovering that, that idiot Jonathan Ross was getting paid 3 million a year. Add to that all the other no-brains out there getting vast quantities of my licence fee and I suddenly found myself resenting every penny.

It makes me very angry. If Jonathan Ross stopped working for a year, I wouldn't notice. If dustbin collectors stopped work for a year, it would have a serious detrimental affect on my life, so how come they don't get 3 million a year?

Anyway, I'd heard lots of horror stories about people going transmitted TV free and how they get hounded. However, when I rang up the BBC to enquire, I found them very reasonable. They explained what I need to do to make sure I can't receive transmitted TV (remove the aerial cable is all), we agreed a starting date (New year's day), they will arrange to stop my direct debit and make me a refund. Finally, somebody will pop round to make sure it's all in order.

Dead easy.

Throw off the shackles and become transmited TV free. :yho:

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I'm actually tempted, all the good stuff you can get again on I player anyway and at a convient time. Even the news I mostly get off the online BBC site.

3. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Well done, NW, for putting your money where your mouth is, clap clap.

Too often we all moan but don't do anything. We have just been thinking the same thing cos we seem to either have seen things on DVD or they have been repeated since we were children!!

I think more and more people will stop although there are so many offers (so they say) out there it may be a while before something else takes it place. I don't think pc's etc will do for now, because they are not suitable for multiple viewing.

As long as we don't lose you!! Do you have to have a tv if you have a broadband apart from BT (for the phone line)?

All the best.

cheers

4. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    good for you :gnthb: i would bin it today but lady imp wont...and if i didnt see that plonker wonathon woss:dh:for ten years i wouldnt notice.. does anyone like him or does anyone find him funny..i hate him and that stupid voice:ywn:

5. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Erm, people. I think you`ll find, if you can watch tv, direct to your PC, you are still liable.

6. Mikkel

Mikkel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You can because it is still classed as a receiver. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I recently read of a court case where a computer was used and the user was fined I believe £160., plus costs.

7. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,064
    This is going to get very difficult to police I think.

Well done NW for doing the right thing, we should all be able to opt out of the BBC and not pay a licence fee.
    They have no adverts but spend hours each day telling us of all the rubbish they will be churning out that week.
    The BBC is beyond the law almost, and needs to be brought down to earth with a very large bump.

They apparently spend enormous amounts of money each year just on taxi fares bring gormless morons such as Johnathon Ross and other worthless prats to the studios.

Its about time the rest of the world chipped in, seeing as we have the BBC world service:D

8. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Receiving live broadcast TV sans license IS illegal, watching iPlayer isn't. Since the only bits of TV I want to watch are on iPlayer, no need for an expensive bit of paper to pay for Woss's excesses.

9. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    As above, If you've got a tv card and watch live then a license is needed but to watch non live broadcasts on I player your ok without.

10. sweetpeas

sweetpeas Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Borrowers, I have my broadband from Virgin and only have that, no tv or phone to go with it, I rang them up and said that's all I wanted and they were more than willing to come out and sort it out for me :).
    I pay for Sky and don't plan on getting rid of that or the tv mainly because of my 8 year old son but if it wasn't for him I'd definately do the same as NW.
    It's far too much money for what it is, althought I must admit I have watched Jooles holland this evening and enjoyed it.

11. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Hey that sounds pretty good! I hardly ever watch terrestrial TV anymore!

Does that include channels like BBC3 and 4 and BBC news? Are they classed as satellite channels?

12. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +6,953
    :)There is so much to watch these days depending on what you like.
    Some of my favorite programmes are...
    News inc. local.
    Weather
    Corrie.
    Eastenders.
    Match of the day.
    Live football matches.
    Wainwrights walks.....a special favorite.
    Selective films.
    All Gardening programmes
    In the Night garden with the kids.
    Documentaries.
    A plethora of animal programmes
    Strictly Come dancing.
    X factor.
    Occasional music cocerts.
    Hose racing especially flat racing.
    And of course a bit of politics....here here lol.
    Songs of praise.
    Antiques roadshow
    Top gear.
    Specially some of the older comedy shows
    Some quiz progs.
    I could go on.....

So you see it's not everyone who is anti TV and I guess it is a godsend to lonely people or family's who are unable to get out much.

13. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Your right Roders, but with I player you can get them all and chose the time you want to watch them you can pause at any time or fast forward, and best of all its free.

Watching via a desktop with a decent screen its almost as good as a decent tv anyway.

14. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    Mr 02 would rather chop off his right arm than go without his telly. I can take it or leave it. The only things I really watch are gardening, and nature programmes. Maybe the odd drama now and then. i tend to be very cynical over tv programmes, as for the adverts they make me want to scream. 02

15. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +6,953
    :) Yes agree Paul...........but I do get iplayer via virgin media and everything for me is better on the big screen.

To be honest I thought you were going to say they were the twenty reasons why the licence is not worth it lol.
    I bet someone will :wink: