1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

I've just killed my washing machine.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Axl, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    At the young age of 6 years old my trusty washing machine has just died a sad, abrupt untimely death.

She stopped this morning before the spin, still an inch of water in the drum.

No problem I thought, I'll check the filter for a blockage. No blockage found.

No problem I thought, I'll check the pump.

After an hour of draining her then near stripping her to death to access possibly the world's most inaccessible pump I removed a couple of coins, a button and various child related beads which had lodged themselves in the pump and the outlet pipe. After an hour of carefully putting her back together I finally replaced the back panel then went to move her back from her precarious 45 degree angle to the vertical.

At this point I was forced into performing an impromptu but nifty cat avoidance/failed leg shake get-off-my-leg-you-stupid-moggy dance, I lost my grip and having a split second to decide whether to grab the cat to save potential crushing or let the machine go, I chose the cat.

After giving the cat a quick stroke then putting him outside I thought it best to at least right the machine and see what damage if any an earth shattering drop might have caused. I then did what any self respecting person who hasn't had a decent explosion in the house for a few years would have done. I plugged her in and started her on a speed wash :D

She fills nicely. Too nicely as the waterline is currently above the top of the door glass :rolleyespink:

The rotating program selector knob is constantly rotating under it's own steam. I appreciate it's supposed to do this as it cycles through the various stages but surely it's not supposed to break land speed records? :rolleyespink:

It may well be fate as she was purchased pre-children and I've thought for a while it may be nice to have a larger load machine to cope with the extra demands. I've already spoken to a friend in the business who'll give her a quick assessment and if it's economically viable she can be patched up and sent off to a local charity which his company supports and we'll get the larger machine which conveniently saves me doing the supplementary hand washing.

^^^ Too long didn't read? Axl's having a pap Sunday :D

• Like Like x 4
    • ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,729
      Bad luck, Axl. My machine is older than yours and, although it has needed replacement parts from time to time, it has been a faithful servant. It stopped spinning a while back and I thought I might have to send it to the great launderette in the sky. However, it turned out that it had got gummed up with those 'colour catcher' sheets. The repair man said he's always having to deal with them; they don't stay in the drum as they're supposed to do. I still use them but I zip them into a mesh wash bag first.

• Like Like x 1
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        6 years is not bad for having kids washing as well, think i'm on my third in 4 years.

Well done with the cat.

• Like Like x 1
        • music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
          Ratings:
          +2,785
          My Machine passed away 2 weeks ago but it went down with a fight :D.
          I was sitting in the kitchen reading my paper at breakfast time, with my back to the machine, about six feet away. the machine went into high spin action then made a clattering sound and virtually chased me out the kitchen:help:. The machine vibrated/shook/jumped, and moved in my direction by a couple of foot :help:. I was off like a bat out of hell to the doorway:heehee:.
          then the machine terminated:scratch:. We gave it a good send off to the recycle yard:WINK1:.
          The wife has just produced another one ,Hope He Hasn't the same temper as his brother:WINK1:

• Like Like x 6
          • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +46,181
            Have you tried theatening it with a big hammer Axl? Show it who's boss.

It never works for me but theres always a first time.

• Like Like x 3
            • Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
              +446
              After my delicate and somewhat surprisingly skilled foray into the world of washing machine repairs I did have one final attempt to get her fires burning again.

Percussive maintenance :thumb:

Needless to say it didn't work :D

• Like Like x 1
              • Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
                +446
                Call me tight but 6 years for a machine which I never service and is used most weeks for less than one hundred loads seems a bit short :D

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                • Like Like x 3
                • JWK

Ratings:
                  +46,181
                  You're going to need a bigger hammer :D

I used a big hammer when my last washing machine went wrong. I used it to crack and remove the concrete weights on the drum so it was easier to take to the dump.

• Like Like x 1
                  • JWK

Ratings:
                    +46,181
                    You aren't getting any luck at the moment Ziggy, unless it was a gold one?

• ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +2,729
                    Poor you, Zig. That is the stuff of nightmares. I'm always glad when the last of the junk Xmas chocs has gone. The toffee ones are instant filling death.

• Like Like x 1
                    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                      +0
                      Cheers Clare,

No pain, so i'm hoping the nerve is dead.

• watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
                      +549
                      A washing machine stops filling when the pressure switch tells it to.

So if yours is overfilling its:

The pressure switch is in error, the pressure chamber is blocked, the hose that connects the two is punctured.

Depending on make / model determines what they look like / where they are. Sorry I don't have pictures

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                      +0
                      That was my first thought, doesn't look like it though:(

• HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
                      +883
                      What you're trying to say is, your washing machine has broke down? :heehee:

• Like Like x 2