1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Japanese acer?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by slugmuncher, Jul 6, 2015.

1. slugmuncher

slugmuncher Munching Slugs

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi

I have this red tree that is about 6' tall, people have suggested it is a Japanese dwarf maple but after researching this a bit more I think it is a Japanese Acer. Can anyone confirm please.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
      Ratings:
      +3,271
      Japanese Acers ... common name maples ... there are over a 1,000's of named cultivars!
      Unless you buy a named grafted tree it is very hard to be certain what it will be like..some are weeping, others will always be small and slow growing...other are quicker to grow.

Yours would appear to be Acer palmatum atropurpureum...ie a maple with palmate shaped, red leaves.

The leaf shape is wrong for it to be Acer japonicum ..commonly called downy Japanese maple or full moon maple....or one of its named cultivars.

Your tree will never get as huge as the red leafed Norway maple...Acer platanoides Crimson King...but neither is it a dwarf maple.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Acer+platanoides+%60Crimson+King&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=r-CbVcnDLcTS-QGpta3QCA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1536&bih=728

Hope this helps.

• Prkns

Prkns Gardener

Web Designer
      Ratings:
      +303
      I think i commented on your photo in the Gallery @slugmuncher? That or this photo is Deja Vu to me ha ha

• slugmuncher

Ratings:
      +12
      Hi Prkns

It is the same tree :D Thank you very much I have now put a lollipop stick as per your ID :dbgrtmb:

Hi SilverSurfer

Yes this helps thank you. I really didnt expect gardening to be so complicated, so so much to learn :scratch:

• Like Like x 1
      • whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +803
        Yes, tis a Japanese maple (probably that known commonly as 'Acer palmatum atropurpureum'
        It would be a good idea to remove lower branches each year as the tree develops. They can be a stunning colour in autumn as you will see here:
        http://www.fujiyamagarden.com/page17a5.html

• Informative Informative x 1
        • slugmuncher

Ratings:
          +12
          Hi whis4ey

Yes the colours are fantastic, best viewed with light drizzle when the colours look really rich.
          Im not sure about pruning yet as do not want to kill anything:doh:. i will look into this though thank you. :thumbsup: