Japanese Knotweed. Maybe. What do I do?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by MissAgapanthus, Apr 28, 2015.

1. MissAgapanthus

MissAgapanthus Gardener

Architect
    Ratings:
    +56
    Oh no. Just looked up what the root looks like. I've come across it in the garden a couple of tiMrs. Like when I dug my pond on the other side of my garden and some in the veg bed. And I broke it off. I'm a out to cry. I did wonder what the weird carrot like looking thing was. But there was so much stuff in the garden plastic, glass, metal, I didn't realise. Aaaargh

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +20,951
    Looks like Japanese Knotweed, the good news is that the young shoots can be picked boiled and eaten.
    Locally Paignton Zoo have had success with injecting glyphosate into the stems using a syringe and a needle, the advantage of this technique is that all the weedkiller gets into the plant and can spread throughout the plant, but you need to do as many stems as possible.

• Like Like x 3
    • MissAgapanthus

MissAgapanthus Gardener

Architect
      Ratings:
      +56
      Thanks Nigel. Would it be best I suggest to my neighbour to do the same so that we can attack it at every stem

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,358
      You know,
      I was hoping you could tell me,:smile: I dont have any.

But when digging I always remove roots, even bindweed is a problem.

So when you dig near the old stems, or preferably, dont,........ remove any roots you find.

I've seen clumps of this stuff for years, and it moves very slowly, its only when humans help it that it becomes a real problem.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • MissAgapanthus

MissAgapanthus Gardener

Architect
        Ratings:
        +56
        Yrs. Well I looked it up. And I have come across it and inadvertently helped it. It looks like a really long woody carrot. Bright orange

• Informative Informative x 1
        • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
          Ratings:
          +20,951
          You could suggest it and yes it would be better. They may let you do it for them which, while more work, would get it done.

• MissAgapanthus

MissAgapanthus Gardener

Architect
          Ratings:
          +56
          I will let them know and offer to do it. I don't mind the work. Just want it gone

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,087
            Have a look at the RHS website for advice. That site gives recommendations on what products to use to kill it, although it will take a few seasons to do so (by which time you might have moved on).

Don't forget to burn any bits you dig up rather than compost/bin them.

• Like Like x 1
            • mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
              Ratings:
              +6,626
              Contact your local council they maybe able to help.
              Failing that I know of somebody that watered a solution of caustic soda on to the area. Worked a treat but couldn't grow anything there again :yikes:

• Like Like x 1
              • Ian Taylor

Ian Taylor Total Gardener

Maintenance Manager, Oddfellows on the Park.
                Ratings:
                +2,751
                I agree with @mowgley contact your local council.

• Like Like x 1
                • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +100,834
                  To be honest I would not advise or encourage the use of Caustic Soda in any form or strength in the Home or in the garden. Here's one reason why:

"The death of Linda Riss Pugach, who was blinded in one eye from a lye attack is cautionary

Also known as caustic soda, the chemical term for lye is sodium hydroxide, a dangerous substance that causes blindness when applied to the eyes.

Lye is colorless when applied on a white object and is odorless as a solid – whether it is in flake, bead or granular form, according to the Centers for Disease Control’s Pocket Guide To Chemical Hazards.
                  While lye was harmful in the case of Linda Pugach, who was blinded by the chemical, the substance also has helpful uses. Lye is used in the making of soap and can be purchased by those interested in making their own at websites such as AAA Chemicals, a company that sells lye to aid in making homemade soap.

But even though lye has non-sinister uses, the chemical is still dangerous. If lye is inhaled, ingested or makes contact with your eyes or skin, the substance can cause a number of unsettling symptoms, according to the CDC. Those symptoms include irritation to the eyes, skin and mucous membranes, eye and skin burns and temporary hair loss.

Quick first aid can help reduce the harmful effects of lye exposure, the agency says in its pocket guide, including flushing skin with water and irrigating the eyes.

PPG Industries, a lye supplier, warns its customers about the dangers of caustic soda.

“Caustic soda (also called lye or sodium hydroxide) attacks the skin and eyes rapidly. Even a small quantity of a dilute solution can severely injure the eyes or cause blindness. Overexposure to caustic soda by way of skin burns or swallowing can cause death,” the company cautions."

• Like Like x 1
                  • Informative Informative x 1
                  • Useful Useful x 1
                  • PlantPlots

PlantPlots Gardener

Making gardens happy places
                    Ratings:
                    +44
                    Sadly it does look like japanese knotweed to me. It is a bit of a ****er to get rid of. The shoots are so strong they can break through patio's, drains etc so you do need to try to get on top of it. Your landlord could be held liable (I think) if the knotweed escapes from their property and damages another, but any complainant will have to prove the source of the plant. If you cut the stems you can't throw them in any compost or green waste - but you can let them dry out and then burn them. The best bet is to keep cutting the stems and using a strong stump killing solution on them. Whether your landlord will run to the expense of getting it properly eradicated may be questionable, but you can try. In the meantime, don't plant into the ground, your best bets are some pots to start with, to make it a little prettier. Oh invest in some long handled loppers -they'll make the job of cutting much easier.

• Like Like x 1