1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved Japanese maple?black tips

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Janet mahay, May 15, 2021.

1. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +611
    Hi my freind has a bush she not too sure what it is but it looks like to me a
    Golden Bark Japanese Maple they are lovely soI seen one on gardening express so i bought one but I found it s got black on its stem and some branches is that normal? Or shall I trim.them off
    I enclose my freinds bush pic and a pic of mine thanks IMG_20210515_145540.jpg IMG_20210515_164309.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  2. luis_pr

luis_pr Gardener

Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas, USA; USDA Zone 7b/8a
    Ratings:
    +125
    Last edited: May 16, 2021
  3. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +611
    Hi thanks it could be a fungi as we had a lot of rain I take it out of the pot , check roots clean it , and plant it in a different tub in some fresh compost and cut off the black tips

4. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,295
    It probably won't ever look like your friend's shrub, because that's a Choisya ternata 'Sundance' ;):)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
      +611
      Hi I looked more closer at the leaves it is not a maple silly me but thanks for identify ing it its a lovely bush
      Took some black tips of Imy maple tree I saw a tiny black fly got rid of it looked and checked the leaves seen no more tomorrow going to repot it in fresh compost seems the soil and the pot it came in from the nursery might be infected

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,295
      Most compost sold now has a high wood-waste content, which encourages sciarid flies. They love damp compost, too. A cheap, effective tip for preventing them is to stick some matches head-first into the surface of the compost. They'll need renewing every few weeks, but it's a lot more effective than expensive nematodes :)

• Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
      +611
      Hi noisette a good tip i try that i also looked on web and it said Using matches as fertilizer . When you water your potted plants regularly, the moisture in the soil will dissolve the match heads over time, gradually releasing sulfur, phosphorous, and magnesium to nourish your plants. Thanks

• Like Like x 1