1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

"Java updates"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Spruce, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,322
    I keep getting updates for me to load up " Java" on my PC , which I have not but do I need to ?

Spruce

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Not unless you play things like Minecraft.

• Useful Useful x 1
      • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
        +12,322
        No dont have enough time , thanks Zig I will just ignore but its everyday I have it trying to get me to update so annoying

Spruce

• joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,385
        Same keeps happing here spruce,ive just been on photobucket and it popped up again so i opted to update it just in case and got an error page :gaah:,i thought it was because i have a new laptop:dunno:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Some folk are saying that older versions are such a security risk you should uninstall Java completely.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,385
          I have just looked and i dont have it installed on this laptop,thought maybe it came as part of the package,no idea why its asking to update java then..must be a trick to get it installed :dunno:

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
          +19,596
          If you're on Windows 7 (or 8, but I don't know where the option is in 8), go to the Start menu, the choose Control Panel. Click Programs, then Programs and Features. It will bring up a list of everything that's installed. You can then uninstall stuff from there. Its worth looking in there every once in a while just to check if anything you've downloaded has secretly installed something else. Its not unusual to find Yahoo and Google menu bars magically appearing in there, along with all sorts of other things.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Useful Useful x 1
          • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,667
            There is probably some website that you visit frequently that uses Java. I suspect that this forum does (although it will probably do it differently if you don't have Java installed).

From memory the Java install pop-up wants to try to install some toolbar by default, which is annoying. Java should be from Oracle (if it says its from anyone else then it may be some Malware masquerading as a Java install), and Oracle is a company of similar size to Microsoft and Apple, so it should be possible to trust it - depends on whether you think you can trust the other two though I suppose!!

• Useful Useful x 1
            • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +14,389
              Equally, the changes to toolbars and home pages usually come about because these 'defaults' are included somewhere during an installation of something else, and if you don't untick the boxes, you're lumbered with them.
              Worse, though, are PUPs like Nationzoom and QVO6. They are tenacious and you can't get rid of their homepages and toolbars without using a cleaner, e.g. Malwarebytes or ADWCleaner