1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Jemma's stupid question thread!

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by mommaperidot, Jul 31, 2014.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Yes and no. It fixes nitrogen (ie takes gaseous nitrogen direct from the air and converts it into nitrates in the ground). This is useful for grass, which loves plenty of nitrogen in the soil. But, while the clover is there, it will compete with the grass, which is not so good.

I find that there's a sort of yo-yo effect goes on, whereby grass wins over the clover for a while, until its taken enough nutrients away from the soil so that it can't grow as well, then the clover takes over for a while, maybe a year or two, but of course in its lifecycle bits will die off, leaving space for grass to move in, which then thrives off the lovely nitrogen rich soil, blocking out the clover for a while until the ground is starved again, then the whole thing starts again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Cacadores

Cacadores ember

Ratings:
      +250
      Is there an easy way to get rid of it? Certainly makes the mowing more of an effort.

and
      Do you think it makes any difference how often or how short you mow?

• clueless1

Ratings:
      +19,596
      It spreads by sending sort of runner thingies along the soil surface. You can lift these out with a rake, which weakens it and also lifts it high enough for the mower to catch it.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
        "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
        Ratings:
        +4,445
        As clover like creeping buttercup are low growing, you would have to practically shave your lawn to catch them, and do that repeatedly, if you are looking for a lawn for children to play, that is not practical, I cut my lawn on 2 all the time, and only me and the dog to walk on it.

• Cacadores

Cacadores ember

Ratings:
        +250
        Thanks - it's all very well as a nitrogen-injector but it's stopping the light getting to my grass!

• mommaperidot

mommaperidot Apprentice Gardener

he
        Ratings:
        +0
        Question 5)
        How to start composting?
        Question 6)
        how do i compost without buying a expensive compost bin doda?

Thanks again!

• clueless1

Ratings:
        +19,596
        Go to Morrisons and buy one of their packs of 8 buckets for 99p. Keep one out in the kitchen, which will be the bin for tea bags, egg shells, veg peelings and such. Some paper is ok in there too.

When it is full, threatening to smell, or attracting flies, it is time to swap it out. Empty it into the main compost bin (more on that in a minute), and if you can't be bothered/don't have time at the moment to wash it out, leave it outside and get a new bucket for kitchen, so that you get a sort of rotation of clean buckets on the go.

I used my council issue green waste wheelie bin, and drilled a load of 12mm holes in it for drainage and ventilation.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,610
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,497
        Or you could make a compost heap lined with the wood from old pallets. :blue thumb:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667

OK ...

... To be talking, or not talking to bees, there is a stupid question if ever I wrote one!

If you want rid of it then a selective lawn herbicide like:

Verdone Extra
        http://www.lovethegarden.com/product-details/verdone-extra-concentrate-1litre

Vitax Lawn Clear
        http://www.vitax.co.uk/home-garden/vitax-lawn-clear/

I alternate between the two as one kills some, and the other some other weeds.

Pay particular attention to the instructions about composting (or not!) the clippings as the resulting compost can kill your plants when used the following year ...

Get a compost heat going :) Even just a "pile it up" heap will do for starters - but it won't generate enough heat, as an adhoc pile, to compost quickly or thoroughly ... but it will make compost in time (12 months say)

Otherwise, if you have a large garden / amount of garden waste, then you ideally need 2 or 3 "bins" about 1 metre cube - and strapping some pallets together (as has been suggested) will give you just the right size. Companies usually have to pay to have pallets taken away for waste, so will usually let you have them for nothing - if you have a vehicle big enough to transport them.

2 or 3 bins is so you can fill one, and then whilst that is composting fill the second. Better still would be when the first one is full "turn" it into the second one, and then when the first one is full again [empty the 3rd one and then] turn #2 into #3, and #1 into #3, and that way you create finished compost out of the 3rd bin periodically. The act of turning the compost introduces air, and mixes composted and not-yet-composted material which speeds up the process, and generates more heat - which, if you get it right :), will kill weed seeds etc.

Question 6) how do i compost without buying a expensive compost bin doda?[/quote]

Your local council may be currently subsiding Darlek type compost bins. Try putting your postcode in here:
        http://www.getcomposting.com/

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        P.S. Suggest you start a new thread for each question, otherwise replies to various questions overlap each other and get confusing :) Also helps other folk who come along later haveing Googled a specific question :)

• Agree Agree x 1