1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Jeremy Forrest

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Phil A, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
    Ratings:
    +31,937
    If Love is so strong then they will wait for one another

2. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    Erm, what about the wife and kids? I actually didn't know he was married, kind of changes things a bit!! :th scifD36:

Val

3. Ellen

Ellen Total Gardener

Volunteer at Cats Protection
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Crazy

4. Ellen

Ellen Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,984
    He obviously forgot about them... The mind boggles!

5. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,605
    Clearly something wrong with his relationship with his wife I'd say, however this must be particularly hard on the kids (or will be when they are old enough to understand).

However, that should have no bearing on the sentence handed to him. Yes, they both made grave errors of judgement, and he should have known better given his position - however, they would almost certainly have been doing what they were under the impression that they wouldn't get caught, and then got in too deep to see what was happening around them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
      Ratings:
      +6,543
      I was listening on the Three Counties radio programme last Friday morning about this case and it was amazing how many people were sticking up for him and saying that Forrest should not have been given such a long sentence as MS {Don't know why her name is being kept secret as it is all over the internet and there is even a Facebook page about her when she went missing:scratch:}went willingly with him and all the CCTV footage i have seen shows them to be walking together arm in arm{no force used} so how can it be said that he abducted her as surely MS would have put up a fight if he had tried to drag her all the way to France.

I knew he had a wife but can find nothing about children as i read somewhere on the net that he was 30 years old and hadn't been married that long.

Evidently Stuart Hall got only 15 months because that was how long he would have served in prison if he had been found out 40 odd years ago.If his offences had happened in this day and age he would have got longer.

Forrest will no doubt have to spend time in solitary confinement because other prisoners will possibly attack him because of the label that he has been given.I just wonder how much all of this has cost the tax payer and it will be interesting to see if they do end up together when he gets out.

No doubt his wife will divorce him as it must be embarrasing for her,but then again she might decide to stand by her man.Only time will tell...

• Ellen

Ellen Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,984
      The abduction aspect comes from the fact she's only 15 and in the eyes of the law, a minor and not able to make decisions of her own. A lot of 15 year olds seem quite worldly-wise though, and feel they want to not be 15 any more and be treated as an adult. I feel sorry for his wife and children, but if there were problems at home, then who knows...

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      The British legal system is a bit bizarre in general. I've always found it odd that, for example, you go to the pub after finishing a DIY job and for whatever reason are found to have that Stanley knife in your pocket that you forgot to take out of said pocket at home before coming out. Potentially you can go to jail for carrying an offensive weapon. But then as it happened nobody noticed so you're ok, so then you drive home full of beer and run someone over, and get a fine and a 3 year ban but likely no custodial.

Or, lets say your an Aussie and you make a silly decision to swim in the stretch of river that a posh boat race is going to happen in, so despite having a British wife and a child in the UK, you get told you have to get out of the UK. But on the other hand lets say you get convicted of terrorism offences in another country so you leg it to the UK, where you then proceed to try to convince others to do the people of his host nation harm, that's ok and he can stay.

Don't get me wrong, I feel privileged that in the UK we have one of the better legal systems. I don't think people randomly vanish just for thinking the wrong thing here, but at the same time we can do a lot better. There is very little consistency it seems.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Ellen

Ellen Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,984
        I fully agree with that

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +49,605
        Couldn't agree more clueless1 - and that is not to mention the very sexist element that exists; if a bloke sunbathes nude in his own garden and his female neighbour looks out of her window and sees him, he gets done for indecency; if a woman sunbathes nude in her own garden, and her male neighbour looks out of his window and sees her, he gets done for being a peeping tom!

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
          Ratings:
          +50,898
          If I remember correctly ... because it was a long time ago ... in the 60s this would not have been the issue it is today. Okay, the man was/is married and that is a big issue of adultery ... but the girl was consensual so it is not a one-sided affair. I was very mature for my age at 16 and everyone thought I was much older, strangely as I was never allowed to date till I was 16 and was quite 'ignorant' of the facts of life in the UK but was shuffled back off to America to college at age 15 (with 8 O'Levels) and into college. I was actually working as a PA for a CEO in America at age 16 (English PAs were the 'in thing') and did so for many years so I have a lot of 'inside knowledge' and then worked in criminal law there for nearly 10 years.

I agree that the two cases are way out of line ... I have sympathy for Jeremy.

• Like Like x 1
          • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,389
            Since we are in the subject of underage relations: Berlusconi has just being sentenced to 7 years in prison.

• Ellen

Ellen Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,984
            Let's see him wriggle his way out of that one!

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
            +19,596
            Italy reminds me of a fictional country described in one of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series of books, where the PM holds the official title of Tyrant, and they lock him up as soon as he's elected because everyone knows you can only get to that level of power through crime and immoral activities, and therefore just winning an election is proof enough that you need to be locked up. I can't remember which book that's in though.

• Like Like x 2
            • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              So, looking around the net, it seems that if they'd stayed in France there would have been no case to answer.

Age of consent 15, no teacher/pupil rule, French authorities would not consider it a kidnapping as it obviously wasn't.

So were they tricked into returning to the UK to avoid extradition? Does that apply within the EU?

Can he apply for a re trial under French law where they take into account "Crime Passionel" ??? A crime of Passion?