1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Just a view in my garden

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by PeterS, Jun 27, 2010.

1. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Very nice PeterS, you manage to make quite a few flowers varieties to come up at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
    • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,015
      Thanks Angelina for those comments. I think most of the combinations have turned out to be just luck. :) However I would stand by two of the comments I made earlier.

I believe that if you limit your palette, rather than having every colour, you give flower combinations a helping hand.

And I still have a thing about long flowering plants. It seems only sensible that if you have plants that flower for twice as long - you must have twice as much colour in the garden.

• Like Like x 3
      • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
        Ratings:
        +6,654
        I somehow seemed to have missed this thread; excellent stuff Peter, makes all that digging, lifting, splitting and re-planting worthwhile when you see the end results, roll on spring when things start growing again :thumbsup:

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,089
        I absolutely agree, and the pictures show what a fantastic eye for colour you have.

• Like Like x 2
        • Angelina

Angelina Super Gardener

Free-lance translator and interpreter
          Ratings:
          +1,045
          So true! :love30:

Limiting my palette will be a challenge as I am keen to have collections of certain plants: rhododendrons, roses, hydrangeas and hemerocallis.
          Also, I love red roses.
          With roses I've messed it completely... :D
          I have one small area which proved good for rose cuttings (after I tested the whole place) and this season I am expecting most of the cuttings, which took roots last year, to bloom. They will not match in colour at all, but I will be happy about each of them. I'll regroup and transplant them later.
          To match all the roses that don't belong together, I could think of colour 'transitions'. This season I can use annuals to try that, but I'm also thinking of perennials with interesting (coloured) foliage, and no other flowers in the group but the rose.
          For more precise blooming periods, I'll have to make an inventory of my pictures and check the dates.
          And I also have to consider bright sunlight and shade, as colour perceptions vary a lot with different lighting conditions.
          Height is also a problem. Pictures of individual plants in trader catalogues are often misleading of 'scale'.

I have a small assignment to complete now, but after I'm done, I'll open a new thread, present some of the ideas I could think of, and ask for advice.

Peter, I've copied all your pictures from this thread, and also your amazing five-year observations of 'long flowerers'. :rolleyespink: With only a second season behind my back, your resource of first-hand experience is something I really value! :sunny:

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
          +19,596
          I've been trying to think of a subtle excuse to bump this thread, but I can't, so I'll boldly admit that I'm bumping it just because its one of my favourite threads of all time.:)

• Like Like x 2
          • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
            +100,836
            I'm glad you did, Clueless, as this is the first time, for some reason, that I've seen this Thread. Peter has the kind of plants and garden after my own heart. I haven't seen one plant there that I don't like. Peter obviously has acid soil if he's able to grow Rhododendrons in the ground. Why is it gardeners who have alkaline/neutral soil, like me, hanker after Acid liking plants??:heehee:

• Like Like x 1
            • al n

al n Total Gardener

self employed
              Ratings:
              +3,267
              Stunning, just stunning!

The euphorbia is only 3 years old and it's THAT big already!?? It's a fave plant of mine, as is all euphorbias.