1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Kids and Germs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Alice, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I hope someone will tell me I dreamt this - but I think not :gaagh:

Last night I saw an advert on TV. It seemed to be for some kind of automatic soap dispenser so that children wouldn't have to touch the little "germie pump" on the top of an ordinary hand wash dispenser :what:

What's going on when children can't touch a soap dispenser incase they get germs on their hands :scratch:

And are these products not intended to wash the germs off your hands :scratch:

I think the world's gone mad :mad: Or I have :dunno:

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Its ok Alice, its a good way to re introduce natural selection.

The over paranoid advert believer will sanitize their childrens immune system to the extent that even the mildest form of bacteria will kill them. Problem solved, those that want to live inside a bubble will not be able to pass their genes on.

3. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    I'm all in favour of a bit of good clean dirt, meself. I think this over-sanitisation has gone way too far and it is very baaaaaaaaaaad for our immune systems not to be challenged from time to time.

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I just ate a sweet, then remembered I had just had my hands in a water butt floating with dead snailsoops:gardening:

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,064
    I agree, we are becoming far too clean these days.

A bit of dirt does you good, especially when you're young.
    Most kids diseases are spread from kid to kid at school, not from home or outside.

Must go and have my annual bath now, once a year whether I need it or not.:D

6. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    Lol, they'll use that hand wash and then pick a nice ripe vaccinating bogey to chew on ;) :D

7. RachelN76

RachelN76 Gardener

Midwife
    Ratings:
    +15
    My son ate compost from out of the porch today. Sigh.
    And because he's not my first born, and you become a lot less paranoid, I just wiped the excess from the outside of his face and gave him a banana instead.

8. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Companies making loads of money trading on the paranoia of mothers who are money rich but time poor.

9. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    A friend of ours was fanatical about cleaning her house. Our children said that it always smelt of bleach. Her offspring were always getting stomach bugs and every infection going. Ours who had a more robust upbringing rarely got anything.

10. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    My thoughts exactly,everybody.
    Has anyone else seen that "germie pump" advert.
    I think it was on channel 4.
    I'm not much given to complaining but if I can track that one down I think I might complain to the ASA.
    It's just mad.

11. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I've had a Google for this product - and no, I didn't dream it .
    It's the Dettol no touch pump.
    That'll stop us touching those "germie" things.

12. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I think I might have seen the advert you saw Alice, but I'm not sure. I seem to have a vague recollection of something along those lines, but I probably blocked it out as being pointless.

I also remember seeing several bits on telly, and reading stuff, that suggests the scientists are now starting to acknowledge what common sense has been telling us forever. The sudden and drastic rise in childhood allergies, including asthma, started around the same time that the brainwashing about cleanliness started. Some boffins are now acknowledging that we need a constant stream of different germs to keep our immune system right. In one article I read, they described the human immune system as being itching for a fight no matter what. When there are no germs to fight, they start attacking healthy cells, or cells that have been exposed to things that should be harmless, and this is what an allergic reaction is apparently.

From a personal point of view, my wife and I (more so me than the wife though) let our little lad help in the garden, or lark about in the woods (all under supervision of course), always getting clarted up. On the rare occassions when someone criticises us for letting him get mucky in the name of fun, I simply reply 'he is a little boy, it is his duty to get clarted up'. I'm very pleased to be able to say that for a 2 year old he is a strong healthy lad that rarely (by comparison to other kids we know) gets poorly, so we can't be going far wrong. Oh, and when he and I are digging in the garden and we find a worm, he has absolutely no issue with picking it up and running into the house to show his mam:)

13. chitting kaz

chitting kaz Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,616
    i actually like this dispenser but not for the reason they are selling it lol
    i work with less abled people and this simple motion device helps them to remain with a little bit of independance

but the the total GERM MANIA that is about really does my head in, my kids were bathed nearly every day but the were filthy within minutes of going out and seemed to be that way until they got back in the bath lol

14. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Not trusting the chlorinated stuff that was coming out of the tap, I used to collect spring water that came out of the greensand near to where I used to live. I'd even use it to make beer.

My eldest started drinking it pretty much just after she was weaned. Apart from the flu, don't remember her getting sick much when she was little.

I looked at the spring water under the microscope once, lots of little things swimming about in it.

JWK lives near that spring now, I expect thats how he's lived to be 100.

15. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,192
    Do you mean the Hascombe Spring Ziggy? Used to drive past it every day when I worked at Dunsfold - always people there filling up their bottles :thumbsup:

A little bit of dirt never did anyone any harm.