1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Killing a tree with glyphosate

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Dave W, May 29, 2011.

1. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Back in April there was some discussion about killing unwanted trees. I suggested injecting glyphosate but was told it didn't work. I'd used this method in the past with success.

Here's an example from this year -
    I've a willow in the corner of the garden that has become too big and despite an annual pollarding puts out a mass of shoots that grow to anything up to 8' or more in a season. For a number of reasons it has to go, but I want to retain the main trunk and grow a climber up it.

Last autumn I ring barked it to see of that would kill it. It didn't and new growth started to appear in April.
    In mid-April I bored holes and filled them with glyphosate (Roundup) and repeated this three times over the next few weeks. The second application of glyphosate was injected using a herbicide called Pistol which at 250g/l glyphosate is about twice the strength of Roundup.

The leaves have now just started to show signs of the effect of the herbicide and this evening I poured some more Roundup into the holes.

Photos taken this evening -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    If it`s the thread I`m thinking of, I said DOMESTIC strength Glyphosate wouldn`t KILL a mature conifer. Your attempts at killing this Willow only goes to prove I was right.:dbgrtmb: Why not hammer a few copper nails into the roots, that should do the trick.:D:thumbsup:

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    SBK, can you still get that?

It worked for me.

Maybe diesel would work also.
    I think its killing most of us, slowly.:D

4. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,035
    I'd have tried copper nails Dai but I don't have any:mad: I know someone who illegally killed a VERY large pine using the copper nail option.

5. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    That tree is not looking well Dave, but it's still there.
    Let's see it when it's dead. The proof of the pudding and all that.

6. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    So what would you use copper nails for Dai, other than killing a plant:)

I cant imagine getting them into anything harder than Balsa without bending.:D

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Pretty sure you can.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,035
      Building wooden boats - the nails are used as rivets with the sharp end flattened after they been hammered through.

Nailing copper flashing - there's no electro-chemical reaction like there would be with steel.

That's the two uses I know of.

• Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,035
      Next photo in July when I'll bet it's expired Alice :D

I'm sorry to see it go as it's provided me with bean poles and sweet pea pyramids for the past 7 or 8 years not to mention a haven for the tits.
      It's got to go because it's casting too much shade in my garden and next door and cutting it back every autumn is getting too much to cope with.

• TreeTreeTree

TreeTreeTree I know sh!t about trees

Ratings:
      +247
      Interesting stuff, Dave W - Kind of like a science project in action. I'd be keen to see the results and find out how long it actually took.

Of course, one can't really apply this to trees in general, as how the tree responds to this treatment is determined by the health, vigour and vitality of each tree. However, the FC uses a similar approach for large scale rhododendron removal in N. Wales and that seems to work a treat.

Keep us updated though please.

• pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,077
      Ok thanks Dave.

I was just under the impression there was some one producing them with the only use being,.... killing plants:D

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      :D I just pictured Flash Harry, "Nylons, Dirty Post Cards, Copper nails Guv ?"

We use them in roofing, for nailing slates.

• daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,881
      Glyphosate is meant to be absorbed through the foliage. I cannot see it being effectual by being injected straight into the wood. Trying to intaveneously inject glyphosate into the xylems and phloems cannot work. Pete. copper nails are are available for whatever purpose you like.,:dbgrtmb:

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      I know for certain, from experience, that ordinary strength Roundup can kill an established conifer.

At my last house, I had a very well established Leylandii hedge. Unfortunately I also had a bindweed infestion, which I defeated.

Thinking the roundup wasn't potent enough to do long term damage to something as well established and big as the leylandii (and secretly hating the leylandii anyway), I didn't care too much that some of the bindweed I was shooting was in the hedge, and therefore the hedge would get some of the spray.

The tree that got more than its fair share of spray died within about 3 months. Completely dead, to the point that there was no green remaining anywhere on it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Once it is absorbed then its going to go thru the plant, doesn't matter if its gone in thru the leaves or been injected; its in. Its going to die Dai.

Can't use copper nails to kill a tree in the EU anyway:DOH: