1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Killing Ivy

Discussion in 'Trees' started by BigFatAl, Apr 26, 2020.

1. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Not a spin-off series to "Killing Eve" but a question about ivy and how likely it is to die!

I've a tree - lets guess 12m high - which is completely overrun by ivy. There's probably 4x as much ivy as tree and the bottom of the trunk is surrounded by ivy branches a good inch and a half thick.

Today, I took off about a foot high of the ivy from round the bottom of the trunk. My question is will the ivy above this now die / how long will this take or can it sustain itself by leaching off the host tree?

Secondly, if and when it does die - any suggestions on removing it?! I can probably pull away the bottom 3-4m if I'm feeling brave with a ladder but could do with the top 8m of ivy magically falling down by itself...

Thanks in advance

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    The answer, BFA, is Yes. If you have cut through all the lower stems and also removed the roots from the soil then the upper stems of Ivy will die. Secondly, the Ivy only clings to Trees, etc, it doesn't penetrate into the Tree itself so it is not parasitic in that way. Ivy is an evergreen so it might take at least a month before you see the Ivy upper growth look like it's dying. I saw Ivy that was completely covering the Gable End of a Cottage in Manchester and that the owner of the Cottage had had a mammoth job of cutting through the thick stems of the Ivy but then it took over a month before the Ivy showed signs of dying off.

Well, what will happen is the the Ivy leaves will either turn a 'orrible brown and drop off to the ground or dangle from the stems. I'm sorry to say that, unless anyone else knows of another method, the only way to remove the Ivy, when dead, is to pull it off the Tree. Not having a pic of the Tree, and how bad the Ivy growth really is, I can only suggest you pull off as much as you can, Al, without doing yourself or anyone else an injury and then as it dies off see how bad the remaining dead Ivy looks. The dead stems might actually blend in with the Tree but otherwise they will need pulling off as, unfortunately, the clinging stems do not just fall off.:dunno::wallbanging:

• Agree Agree x 1