Kimiko clematis - do I need to do anything?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Emma Hooker, May 9, 2020.

1. Emma Hooker

Emma Hooker Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    Morning, hope everyone is safe and well. We have just purchased a kimiko clematis and it’s been planted for a couple of weeks. Alot of the leaves have started to fall off, is this normal? If it is, should I be doing anything like pruning? If so, I’m not entirely sure where to cut back to. Very new to gardening, tried looking online but getting quite confused! Thank you

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,837

[​IMG]

Hi Emma, welcome to Gardeners Corner. Okay, well, Clematis Kimiko is for starters an evergreen and, I believe, is an "off shoot of the Clematis Armandii family. There aren't many evergreen Clematis compared to the thousands of deciduous ones. But evergreen Clematis do have one thing in common, despite the description of evergreen they do shed some leaves as normal practice which can lead a new owner to fear the worst. The leaves normally turn brown and crispy and fall to the ground or dangle on the stem' I have around 173 Clematis and in there are several evergreen Clematis so I got used to see the brown leaves on the ground.:doh::heehee:
      However, before we put the problem down to that can you tell us where your Clematis is? You say you've planted it, but is that in the ground or in a pot/container? Are the roots shaded and cool?, did you plant it around 4 inches deeper than the pot it was in?, and (daft question) have you watered it regularly? A pic would be nice if you could post one.:cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Emma Hooker

Ratings:
      +9
      7E8AA4F4-9401-4506-AE25-B491627483A0.jpeg B772D299-2368-4A57-B543-33023005203A.jpeg 7E8AA4F4-9401-4506-AE25-B491627483A0.jpeg Thanks so much for your quick reply. It’s planted in the ground against a photo. I potted it with the top of the root ball about 2 inches under the top of the soil if that makes sense! I’d read that in doing so you promote new shoots which you can see in the picture but some pesky pet rabbits managed to bite some off. It is now shielded when the rabbits have a run in the garden and we are in the process of getting a more permanent fence to protect the flowers. I will also be putting some Pebbles around the base of the plant to keep them in the shade, is this the right thing to do. And yes it has been watered. It’s clay soil and retains water so I’ve felt the surface and if it’s dry, then I’ve given it some water. Is this correct or does it need more/less?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,837
        :cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:Hi Emma, the Clematis looks fine where it is so you've done a good job there.:thumbsup:

Actually the reason for planting Clematis deeper than when in the pot is to help prevent Clematis Wilt which causes Clematis to do exactly that.. Wilt. The Clematis disappears underground and then, hopefully, will recover and put up new growth.......but not always.
        The best thing you can do now is to leave the Clematis in peace, let it settle in, push out roots and establish itself.......while fending off the Rabbits:heehee: Don't prune it, just try to train the Clematis against the fence, out of the reach of the Rabbits, keep it watered and a weekly feed say of Tomato Feed and/or Miracle Gro to give it some nutrients to grow on.

Yes, it is recommended that you place large pebbles or flat stones around the root area which will, as you say, help keep the roots cool which is what Clematis like. It looks like C.Kimiko is a variety of the Boulevard series which appears to be a hybrid but a good one. It's supposed to flower in Spring but, due to Climate change, you might find it will, once established, flower again during the year. My established evergreen Clematis are the ARMANDII variety
        upload_2020-5-9_13-23-20.png

upload_2020-5-9_13-23-59.png
        which are aggressive growers spreading, if you let it, 30 feet or more.
        Anyway, don't prune your Clematis Kimiko even in the Spring as you do normal Clematis as evergreen Clematis should be left to grow on and, if you prune it, may not recover. Also, as I mentioned before, evergreen Clematis have a habit of shedding some leaves throughout the year, so don't worry it's normal for the evergreens.:cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Emma Hooker

Ratings:
        +9
        Thanks so much. That’s really helpful and reassuring to hear. I will leave it be and admire its beauty. We have two more to plant. Just getting the soil ready to plant tomorrow. We’ve got a broughton star and a bourbon. Looking forward to relax and admire the garden after all the hard work!

• Friendly Friendly x 1