1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

koi keepers ?

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Gazania, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Gazania

Gazania Gardener

Ratings:
    +204
    Yes thank goodness for UV's. Before the UV I remember hanging baskets of barley straw in my pond, then all types of additives came out proclaiming to rid ponds of the dreaded green stuff. When it was at its worst I used to use a stick to twirl carpets of the stuff from the pond walls !
    You need a good feeding regime when you heat a pond. As I used to show koi I would have my pond heated all year round and feed all year round and you could watch the koi visibly grow. Expensive ? you bet. At one time I had an 8000 gallon pond heated by an electric heater ! The electric meter used to spin like a top. I fitted a gas boiler to my next pond and that was a whole lot cheaper.
    I would at least cover the pond over the coldest days/nights of winter. Most koi are bred and imported from Japan where they never experience the water temp's we have here in the UK. They are out in the mud ponds in summer and brought into heated koi houses over winter.Israeli and UK bred koi are different of course.
    Happy koi keeping Freddy.
    gazania

2. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hi Gazania.

As far as 'regular' algae goes, my 55w sorts that, no problems. Regarding 'string' algae, I use 'Cloverleaf Answer', works a treat for me:blue thumb: As far as temperatures in Japan goes, my guess is that they suffer the low temperatures that we get here...

3. watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
    +549
    I feel I must say this, and its nothing personal.

You are in error.

The pond UV has been around way before barley straw was used. (At least back in the 80's, But before then I am sure) It may be you just did not know about it.

When you said "I used to use a stick to twirl carpets of the stuff from the pond walls"
    Sorry to correct you but that is string algae, that is not affected by a UV

In short I am saying there are at least two types of "dreaded green stuff" one is a micro organism that actually turns the water green which is affected by a UV, and the other is an algae that grows in "strings" that does not turn the water green but does grow in water.

4. Gazania

Gazania Gardener

Ratings:
    +204
    yes watergarden, correct on both counts.

I guess I meant to say that before I had even thought about koi when I had a general fish pond I used barley straw. Not sure anyone knows how it works ? But it did work on a small pond. Of course once bitten by the koi bug I was made aware of the UV.
    And yes string algae and not blooms was what I used the stick for. The koi loved it though :) tasty !
    gazania

5. Gazania

Gazania Gardener

Ratings:
    +204
  6. GazSuttonUK

GazSuttonUK Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    Just seen this thread and yes I do keep Koi...been keeping them for something like 30 years.
    Will add some photos later...

7. watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
    +549
    Gazania, you said

So what have you got now?

8. GazSuttonUK

GazSuttonUK Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • GazSuttonUK

GazSuttonUK Gardener

Ratings:
      +26
      [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
      • GazSuttonUK

GazSuttonUK Gardener

Ratings:
        +26
        [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
        • Freddy

Retired - yay!
          Ratings:
          +12,508
          Hiya Gaz.

I'm liking the Shiro:blue thumb: . Is that a Kikusui in the first pic?

• Gazania

Gazania Gardener

Ratings:
          +204
          Hi watergarden, only been in this bungalow for a couple of years and it has needed a little work so as yet no koi pond :dunno: A friend is looking after a kohaku I couldn't part with so technically I am a 'koi owner', not a 'koi keeper' ! BUT, I do have a spot sorted for my next pond. I was tempted in the spring to buy one or two and was going to leave them with a friend but sense prevailed ! Ideally at the latest I want to be ready for next tosai time. Do you keep koi ?

Nice koi ya got there Gaz. Post more pics if you've got them.
          gazania

• Freddy

Retired - yay!
          Ratings:
          +12,508
          Hi Gazania.

Maybe when you do get around to building your pond, you could start a thread?

• Gazania

Gazania Gardener

Ratings:
          +204
          Hi Freddy, I documented my last pond builds on koi websites and in a koi magazine so that would be okay. When funds allow I shall get to it. It will be a straight forward pond allowing me to grow on tosai/nissai, eventually with a max of probably 5/6 mature koi. I won't be showing so I won't be under that pressure.
          gazania

• Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
          +245
          We have a small koi pond at the moment and are in the middle of an 8,000 gallon construction project. Hopefully will have some fish in it later this summer as not too much more to do now.