1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

LAMB CHHOEYLA ( Nepalese Grilled Lamb)

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Ian Taylor, May 9, 2015.

1. Ian Taylor

Ian Taylor Total Gardener

Maintenance Manager, Oddfellows on the Park.
    Ratings:
    +2,751
    Can also be made with chicken or pork, got this recipe from a good friend of mine.
    Cooking this tomorrow has he's visiting

Serves 6

1.3kg boneless lamb chops
    2 tbsp mustard oil

Marinade.
    1 tbsp cumin powder
    1 tsp turmeric
    1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
    1/2 tsp timur (Szechwan pepper)
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    1 tbsp chilli paste
    1 tbsp garlic paste
    1 tbsp ginger paste
    pinch of asafoetida
    2 tbsp vegatable oil

Chhoeyla Sauce.

1tbsp cumin seeds, toasted
    5 red chillies, cut into julienne strips
    3 garlic cloves, halved
    2.5 cm piece of root ginger, sliced
    pinch of asafoetida
    1/2 tsp turmeric
    1 tbsp vegetable oil

Garnish

2 tbsp vegatable oil
    1 tsp fenugreek
    10 garlic cloves, thinley sliced
    1/2 bunch spring onions, chopped

Method
    Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a large bowl. Add the lamb chops and mix to coat thoroughly. Set aside for 2 hours.

To make the sauce, place the cumin seeds, chillies, garlic, ginger, asafoetida and turmeric in a blender. Add the oil and a little salt and pepper, then blitz until you have a smooth paste.

Grill the meat on a barbecue until cooked through, then cut into small cubes.

In a bowl, mix the chhoeyla sauce with the meat. Slowly add the the 2 tbsp of mustard oil and toss well so that all the meat is well coated.

For the garnish, heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the fenugreek. Fry until it turns dark, then add the garlic slices and fry until light brown. Pour this over the marinated meat, then add the spring onions and toss well. Serve with stir-fried vegetables and rice.

• Like Like x 5
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      Now *that* sounds absolutely delicious! [​IMG]

Thank you for sharing the recipe Ian :thumbsup:

• Ian Taylor

Ian Taylor Total Gardener

Maintenance Manager, Oddfellows on the Park.
      Ratings:
      +2,751
      My friends a Ex-Gurkha, so if I get it wrong I'm in trouble :), we've known each other for about 25 years now. My boss is coming to because we had a whip round at work for the Nepal Earthquake and raised £500, it will be going to The Gurkha Welfare Trust, it helps there families and communities, with medical and development aid. But this money will be spent on tents and items like that.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Make sure you only have spoons and forks on the table and you'll be fine (... you know what they say: when a Gurkha draws his knife ... :oops: )

Exellent fund raising there @Ian Taylor well done to you and your colleagues:star:

Now, that reminds me ... I have a Gurkha cookery book somewhere ... (makes note to self to hunt down *that* packing box)