1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Laptop recommendations.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by silu, Jul 28, 2016.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Wonder if anybody might be able to give me a good unbiased! recommendation for a replacement laptop.
    I inherited a Lenovo Thinkpad from my daughter(fairly ancient) and it was fine for what I needed. Unfortunately I was putting it on a table and it slipped off (it's quite heavy) and fell onto a concrete based floor with no carpet...yup it has died. Won't even switch on. I really don't think it is worth spending maybe a good doze of cash to get it fixed as it is pretty old so need a new laptop.
    I liked the size of the Thinkpad (13 ins) screen which is about ideal for me. I don't play games on the computer, don't download music or the likes, need a nice keyboard as send a fair amount of emails. Take some photos which I like to keep on the laptop but apart from browsing the net I don't need anything fancy at all. I do watch the likes of Iplayer a bit. I have been using an Apple Ipad since I bust my laptop. It's ok (great screen quality) but not so keen on the touchscreen as have fairly severe Arthritis in my fingers...not helped by trying to cope with a massive garden! Also find the screen a bit small.
    I have access to 2 HP laptops with 15/17 ins screens but they are a bit big for what I want. They sit on tables, I do quite like to actually use a laptop on my lap! I got quite used to not having the full keyboard with numbers at the side as well as at the top and didn't miss them so no need for a big screen to accommodate a full keyboard. Would be handy if the new whatever is lighter than the Thinkpad which is quite chunky weightwise.
    Someone mentioned Chromebooks to me but unless you go for an 11 inch screen they come with a fairly hefty price tag which for what I need is a bit of a waste I feel. I tried an 11 inch screen and that is a bit small for me.I was hoping to get something basic for around the £250 mark give or take a bit. Anything more would seem a bit of overkill for my needs.
    Don't mind which make, I don't have a preference and don't care what it looks like either. It's a machine to use not a boasting/fashion item as far as I'm concerned, ranked along with the likes of my hoover or to be correct my vacuum cleaner!
    Hope someone can give me some ideas if what might be the right 1 for me, many thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,623
      I am not a fan of Chromebooks, as they use Chrome OS which is quite restrictive in my book, and makes them more of a high powered phone than an actual computer. The other considerable limitations with Chromebooks and small laptops is that they often have relatively small solid state hard drives (SSD) of around 16-32Gb - whilst SSD's are faster than their conventional counterparts, that sort of capacity is going to very quickly become insufficient even with things like photos and letters. Many of them also have only 2Gb of RAM which is nowhere near enough for even half-decent performance. You might not think that your use justifies more than 2GB RAM, however going for something with 2GB of RAM will only see you sat looking at a little spinning cursor on the screen on a fairly regular basis, and will slowly drive you mad.

For sheer bang for your buck, you cannot beat Acer - take this one for example. I've had a fair bit of Acer kit, both at home and at work (in fact, the monitor I am looking at now is an Acer), and I have not had any trouble with them at all. Bear in mind that the 13" screen is quite uncommon now, so you are looking at 11.5" or 14/15" as being the most common sizes.

Laptop Direct are a good bunch to deal with too.

• Like Like x 1
      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +49,623
        Pushing your budget a wee bit, but fits you nicely size wise - this 13.3" fellow is also a worthy contender.

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
        Ratings:
        +7,297
      • silu

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Thanks very much both. I will look at what you have suggested and make a decision over the next couple of days. I'm confident you will have given me very good advice:ThankYou:

• Like Like x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,617
          My last laptop was an Acer and so is my other halves. I bought an HP in November when I had to replace mine because Acer have changed the letters on the keyboards. They are now in the corner of the keys which I find off-putting. Apart from that I have no issues with either makes. :)

I would suggest you don't buy anything from Curry's Silu, their after sales service is abysmal and if anything goes wrong you've got a fight on your hands.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +49,623
            @silu, feel free to PM me or post back here if you need any help at all

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,527
            Sorry I can't help you as I don't like using any form of computer unless it's on a desk and I'm in a very comfortable upright chair. Sarafi the cat agrees with me. :cat-kittyandsmiley: He has my old executive chair which is out in the garden under the covered pergola :heehee:

Now that's a novel idea :snork:

• Like Like x 1
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +86,077
              Not sure just like to say mine says its Packard bell, but it also says its an Acer?

Spent a bit more than I intended at the time but the screen appears to be on the blink after only three years.
              Dont think I'll go down the lap top route again unless they make one where you can replace parts of it easily.
              The laptop is only as strong as its weakest link.
              In my case the screen, doesn't matter that I have used just a small section of the hard drive, or the other bits like processors.

If I did buy another lap top it would be the cheapest possible and treat it as a disposable item.:smile:

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
              Ratings:
              +49,623
              I hate to say this @pete, but Packard Bell are dire - we used to call them 'PackedUp Hell' in the workshop. Their machines are cobbled together from parts made by other manufacturers, with little care given to quality.

• Funny Funny x 1
              • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                Ratings:
                +86,077
                Aren't all PCs/ laptops made up of parts cobbled together?

Its the assumption I get, bearing in mind nobody seems to make all the parts that go together to make one machine.

• Funny Funny x 1
                • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                  Ratings:
                  +49,623
                  They are, but most of the decent manufacturers will match the bits up based on specific standards that they have set - in most/many cases, they will go to the part supplier and dictate exactly the spec that the parts are to be made to.

Take TV's as a fairly simple example - there is a Turkish company called Vestel that make all the el-cheapo stuff, and it gets sold under various brands such as Bush, Alba, Technika as well as the supermarket's own brands; as you would expect, they are utter garbage that doesn't have a particularly long life span. However, Vestel also make certain models for the likes of Panasonic and Sony, and the quality of those is as good as you would get if Sony or Pan had made the units themselves, and that is because they dictate the exact specifications that they require.

Packard Bell however, would purchase a load of parts off the shelf and make a computer. They would then go back for more parts only to find them out of production, so would switch to another product or possibly even another supplier - the net result is that you can have two cosmetically similar products that have different guts, and the get round this by the line in the instruction book that says 'specifications are subject to change due to continuous improvement of our products'....

To be fair, desktop PC's aren't all that different nowadays either - - I bought a new desktop PC around 18 months ago, and whilst there is space in the case for things such as an additional blu-ray drive etc, there is no suitable cut out on the front panel to allow one to be installed. If I want to upgrade this PC, then I will have no choice but to start with the case.

• silu

Ratings:
                    +8,083
                    Never quite trusted labels on products after I saw a warehouse manager guy calming taking off the labels on a shipment of new computer moniters and putting labels of VARIOUS other makes on the moniters which were all identical.My face must have been a study as he was quick to tell me it was all legal and above board.......really?!

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                    +28,997
                    I got some massive bargains in the HP laptops glitch this afternoon. 4 new laptops for less than 8 quid! Just hope they don't notice they reduced the likes of £3,000+ lappys to around £2, fingers crossed.

Was rather hoping to give our daughter a £3,000+ laptop for her birthday, but she's got her own order in (and I suspect that I'll be getting a 17" i7 16gb ram laptop for Xmas).

hp3.png

hp2.jpg

hp1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
                  • silu

Ratings:
                    +8,083
                    Think I am sorted with a new PC thanks to @fat controller I now see you know yer onions on TVs as well as computers:). WELL,the house has 5 tellies scattered about the place. All those chunky old jobs and not a flat screen amongst them. 1 or 2 will almost be ages with me although they are all colour!
                    Daughter wants to get 1 of those firestick? thingies and none of the TVs have the slots to put 1 in it. Ok freely admit I am not that interested in the latest wiz bangs.
                    Perhaps it is time for a new TV as certainly 2 you need to give a hefty thump to get the picture clear.
                    Perhaps if I bought the laptop and a TV from the same people they might like to give me a wee bit off the price:).
                    I certainly don't want 1 of those cinema size jobs! something up to about 30 ins should be fine.Not sure about high definition, if it makes a huge difference to price I think I can live without it.Price, I like things to last (that's a bit obvious currently using "antique" TVs:heehee:,) so happy to pay more for something well built and unlikely to be needing replaced quickly.
                    Hope you don't mind asking, you are probably beginning to feel like a Which magazine!