1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Late Ducth Honeysuckle & Clematis Pamela Jackman in same container?

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by joeyvicks, Jun 29, 2011.

1. joeyvicks

joeyvicks Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    As the title sugests i've got both these plants and was wondering how they would get on in the same pot?

If its not advisable its fine i'll plant them seperately. What do the pamela jackman's grow like in pots? Fast/Slow?
    I've got an 8ft x 10ft north wall that i want it to cover...

2. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    Hello there

I'd use separate containers and I'd make sure they were generous in size. As to the rate of growth: the honeysuckle will grow quickly, although it may take a while to settle in before it gets away. Being a woodland plant, it likes to be kept well watered. It will also need feeding regularly to keep it looking lush. (Honeysuckles do have a tendency to get a bit scraggy. They are great survivors, but if you neglect them they can quickly look tatty.)

'Pamela Jackman' is an alpina - very pretty. I love it. It's one of the smaller, daintier members of the clematis family and doesn't romp away with the same gusto as its thuggish relatives, the montanas. Like the honeysuckle, it will need to be kept well watered.

I'd use a soil-based compost for planting.

3. Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
    Ratings:
    +502
    They'll get on okay in a pot if the pot's a decent size, it'll need to be at least 2' wide and 2' deep because clematis have deep roots.
    It'll also need an obelisk or an open wire trellis because the clematis will want to climb and it does this by twining very fine tendrils around stems/obelisk/wire and unless this type of structure's provided it'll flop onto the floor.

Having the lonicera in the pot too means a structure again or it too will flop so it'll be worth having a look at fine wire obelisks or making a type of wigwam structure and tie-ing the wire trellis to it.
    This type of stuff .....
    http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=256169&c_4=4%7Ccat_14418930%7CPlant+Accessories%7C14279475&c_3=3%7Ccat_26026182%7CGarden+Pots+and+Planters%7C14418930&c_2=2%7Ccat_16849255%7CGardening%7C26026182&c_1=1%7Ccategory_root%7CGarden+and+Outdoors%7C16849255

You'll need to put stones/pebbles/chippings ontop of the soil because clematis need their roots shaded.