LATEST MOAN FROM YOU AND ME 2018

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,296
    They say 'she threw herself under the horse' but it looked to me as though she ducked out from under the rail to disrupt the race. If she had intended to get herself killed she would have run in front of the main mass of horses. Instead, she stepped out in front of the second from last horse. They were running very tight to the rail as they came round the bend and she had only just ducked under the rail and was standing up as it happened. :noidea:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +31,463
      The road is to cold/mucky for that and there's been 5 horseless riders since November, one horse it was it's 3rd time being riderless :snorky:

No, but you can hear it alot with other words :dunno:

• Like Like x 3
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,996
        I've heard about how some people are struggling to afford the upkeep of their horses and have had to let them go.

They're a flippin menace galloping around the countryside all by themselves.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
        • Like Like x 1
        • shiney

Ratings:
          +117,296
          Looks as though they need to call the blacksmith in, as well. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 2
          • Agree Agree x 2
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +16,246
            Beware the Amazon pickup lockers !
            Ordered on Amazon . Now recently the delivery driver hides around the corner until we go out. Then leaves package with our neighbours. So I have been using the Amazon locker system , sited in our local Spar. Normally you punch in your code , and magically a locker immediately opens and you collect the package. Today punched code in , nothing . Then screen shows " please stand back" . What, I think ???? Then the large locker directly above the screen springs open and hits me inbetween the eyes ! :snorky:

• Funny Funny x 4
            • Friendly Friendly x 2
            • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
              Ratings:
              +6,543
              From what I read in the Daily Mail article last week one of Emily Davisons descendants has said that Emily hadn’t intended to throw herself under the feet of the Kings horse but had stepped out from under the barrier and was hoping to grab hold of the reins to attach a ribbon of some sorts to the bridal possibly near the head as she had tried earlier in the day to attach it in the paddock but couldn’t manage it as there was too many officials about so had the idea of attaching it as the horses were racing round but she underestimated the speed in which the horse was travelling so as she stepped out in front of the Kings horse she took the full impact and died two days later in hospital.I don’t know what happened to the rider or the horse as they came a cropper as well:sad:

The article also stated that Emily had bought a return ticket (I assume a train ticket)so if she had intended to kill herself then she would have bought only the one way ticket.At the end of the day we shall never really know the full truth of what she really intended but it was a tragic way to go just to get votes for us women.That is why I always make sure I cast my vote in all Elections:smile:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
              • Like Like x 1
              • Informative Informative x 1
                Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
              • shiney

Ratings:
                +117,296
                I got annoyed last night. :mad: I went up to London for a bridge match. It was my side of London so only took 30 minutes using the motorways. Coming home took an hour and a half! :mute:

It's a simple journey, M25 and then M11 north - to almost home. We got onto the M25 and had been on it for five miles before we came to an overhead sign that said slip road to M11 South is closed for roadworks. I thought 'poor sods that want to go that way as there was no prior notice of it'. A couple of miles further on the overhead sign said M11 slip road closed North and South. :yikes:

The distance between that junction and the next is one of the longest on the M25! We then had to try and find our way across country to get home. :doh:

If they had signed, prior to getting on the motorway, that the slip roads were closed we could have detoured and been home in 35 minutes.

• Agree Agree x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Kandy

Head gardener
                  Ratings:
                  +6,543
                  That’s because it is controlled by men Shiney.If it was a woman’s task to sort out the roadworks we would have given far more notice and would have got you home a lot quicker:biggrin:

My moan today is why are the car fuel prices going up every week? Mr Kandy filled up the mini on January 9th and the petrol was £114.7p a litre and Diesel was £1.16P a litre.Hethen filled up on January 15th and it had gone up to £1.16.9p per litre with Diesel at £1.19p per litre.Yesterday January 23rd it had gone up to £1.17.9p per litre and Diesel was £1.20p per litre. Am I missing something here as to why it keeps going up like this each week.:scratch::sad:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                    +8,083
                    It is not the horses to blame it is as @Jiffy would say:) the ------- owners to blame. I so so wish it was illegal to own a horse without a licence as it is in Germany I believe. There you need to go on a course and pass a test to prove you are actually capable of owning horses and have the requisite knowledge to do so properly.
                    Clueless idiots buy a horse sometimes for buttons and haven't the faintest idea how much it costs to keep it. There are also those of a certain tradition who usually have a herd of indiscriminately bred coloured horses which they fly grass all over the country. All not too bad during the summer with grazing, come winter no grass usually their fields have crap fencing and the horses will then do what you or I would do if hungry, go looking for food.
                    I wonder how many people realise how much it costs to get rid of a horse no longer wanted for a variety of reasons. It is NOT like having a cat or dog PTS.
                    The last horse we had to have put down (degenerated hock which was causing him a lot of pain and consequently poor quality of life) cost me over £1000 to have PTS and disposed of and that was in 2006!!! For this reason you see all over Britain poor, badly fed/neglected horses and ponies, often coloured (black and white or brown and white). All over the equine websites it is daily reported that people are dumping dead and dying equines away from where they were living so that councils pick up the tab of disposal.
                    We still have 1 horse who is retired (damaged his own leg ie we didn't hurt him:rolleyespink:). When he goes that will be the end of any association we have with horses. I despair that for whatever reason horses seem to attract the dregs of society. Yes this is a generalisation, however, in the 30 odd years I have been around horsey folk from all walks of life I have kept in touch with.......0! Sorry if I am on my soap box but it saddens me greatly that equines which are such wonderful creatures so often end up being used and abused by humans.

• Agree Agree x 5
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
                    • Kandy

Head gardener
                      Ratings:
                      +6,543
                      @silu There are some of those ponies not far from us where we go walking and the count last year was up to around ten because the same mare is put into one of the two fields every year with the stallion so she ends up with a foal every year.They went missing in the Autumn and five of them are now back in the two fields but their manes and tails are so long and the poor things can’t even see round the fringe part of the main as they have got so long it covers their eyes.They have a small brook which they can drink out of but have no shelter so have to stand huddled together in the boggy part near the gate under the trees.:sad:

When we went for our walk yesterday afternoon we took a load of carrots and the green leaves off of a cauliflower we had bought and when I stood at the fence trying to feed them the ponies were biting and kicking each other they were that hungry:mad:

Evidently a lady brings them some hay and other food each day but from what we can gather she has no relationship to the ponies or the owners,she does it out of kindness.Problem is no one dares confront the owners as they are a law unto themselves and are just not interested in the animals welfare:sad:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                      • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                        +8,083
                        I am not surprised that a GC member has 1st hand knowledge of the problems I highlighted unfortunately. From experience the RSPCA have few "teeth" when it comes to horse welfare, however The World Horse Welfare charity are much more proactive. If you feel that what you are witnessing warrants further investigation you could contact Worried about a horse? 08000 480 180.
                        It might be an idea to take a video of the equines to forward to the WHW, especially the state of their hooves if you can. Often the hoof issue is more desperate than food. Unlike cattle, equines in this country have zero value unless they are either well bred or have had plenty of time and effort made to train them to be ridden/driven and are suitable for these uses, not all are by any means. Do people look after something with zero value? usually not!

• Like Like x 1
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                          Ratings:
                          +31,463
                          Price of crude keeps going up,

• Like Like x 1
                          • Agree Agree x 1
                          • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +5,890
                            Hi @Kandy ,

The oil producing countries are very nervous at the moment with Middle Eastern troubles and Trump therefore the price is rising.

• Agree Agree x 2
                            • Friendly Friendly x 1
                            • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
                              Ratings:
                              +8,190
                              Kind people that pick up after their dog and then leave the black bag on the path outside my house:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Agree Agree x 2
                              • Friendly Friendly x 2
                              • shiney

Ratings:
                                +117,296
                                Oh!!! Is that your house? :doh: ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
                                • Like Like x 1
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.