LATEST MOAN FROM YOU AND ME 2018

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,288
    :scratch: :hate-shocked:
    Sounds like a healthy diet. :doh:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,996
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
        Ratings:
        +49,903
        I was watching a wildlife programme yesterday and it said baby bears easily catch salmon as they are weak from just having spawned and should the bears not catch them then they die anyway and fertilise the river.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
          +8,083
          I read today that a convicted rapist is being "invited" by social workers to have contact with the child conceived. What??????????????????????????
          This is an extract from The Times
          "A rape victim at the centre of a care scandal demanded a shake-up of the law last night after revealing that Rotherham council had invited her jailed abuser to seek access to her son.

Arshid Hussain, a serial rapist and the ringleader of a child-grooming gang, had no parental responsibility for the child but social workers contacted him in prison to give him the chance to stake a claim in the boy’s future."

I am really struggling to believe this but I would imagine The Times would be unlikely to report something which had no basis of truth to it, perhaps naively:noidea:

Good god almighty if what I read is true this takes our PC world onto a completely new level. The child conceived is male which hopefully means it wouldn't be raped by "daddy".

• Agree Agree x 3
          • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +16,246
            It was Rotherham council who actually invited the serial rapist to contact the child. This was the council who could not protect the children in their social care from predatory sex rings . They do need to be held to account for this.

• Agree Agree x 2
            • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
              +8,083
              You obviously know something about this @Harry? I am in total amazement. I,unfortunately, had slight dealings with social workers through something which happened to my brother. OMG they made the situation way way worse and didn't have a ounce of common sense between them. I was horrified. Perhaps the same idiots transferred from Edinburgh to Rotherham.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
              • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                Ratings:
                +7,618
                Social care is underfunded and the situation is getting worse with continued austerity. All social workers are not the same - and the majority do a crackin' job helping to protect the most vulnerable - but like everyone else they are only human. Not a mention of the good works they do, because that's their day job.

I would bet that a lawyer has been involved at some stage to come to the decision to encourage access to the child - he/she will have applied the letter of the law - and not common sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
                • Informative Informative x 2
                • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +52,310
                  When we think we've heard the worst, something else comes along! :doh:

The child should be left to make his own mind up about meeting his father when he's at an age that he can understand what has happened. Until then he should be protected by the law and social services. There's also the fact his mother has suffered enough without adding this to the pain that she's already gone through.

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                    +100,834
                    The present legislation used in the Courts is, supposedly, about the child/children and not either of the parents, so access to either biological parent for the child/children is, by law, paramount.
                    I have walked out of some Courts with gritted teeth on some of the judgements that some Judges are forced to make to keep within that legislation as it gives them very little room to maneuver even knowing that the Father or Mother are not suitable to bring up or have any responsibility for the child/children. Some Judges have given access to Fathers or Mothers while taking solace that in reality knowing that the Father or Mother has no intention of using that access but just wish to twist the emotional knife into their partners.:wallbanging:
                    The 5 Judges that I still work for part time have been trying for years to get the Politicians to change the Law but have found Parliament is full of PC Theorists who have no knowledge of the real world. One of the Judges has a sign on the wall which says "The Law and Justice rarely walk hand in hand" but, I personally known, sits on the Bench every day trying to ensure that they do.

My understanding that it was the Rotherham Council Legal Department trying, in their view, to cover their backs by strictly carrying out the "correct" prescribed legislative procedures.....that has, of course, backfired spectacularly on them, whereas a step back to consult with the Ministry of Justice might have resulted in a different decision. There may be some good to be sieved out of it all in that the outrage that has been caused may just force the PC Brigade to allow amendments to the Legislation that bar criminals from having access against the wishes of the other partner.

• Like Like x 3
                    • Agree Agree x 2
                    • Informative Informative x 1
                    • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
                      +21,152
                      Does no-one in the positions of council or courts have the backbone to face up and challenge the legislation and do what's RIGHT, not what's prescribed?!

• Agree Agree x 3
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                        Ratings:
                        +7,618
                        Sadly, no. From my experience in local government - no one will stand up and do what is right - they will always cover their own asses first and gladly step on the little guy for the sake of advancement or improving their standing with the other cronies.

I've made some 'borderline' decisions whilst working in local government - because strictly following the letter of the law (EU law in this case) would have wasted a shed load of cash, money which could be better spent elsewhere.

• Like Like x 1
                        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                          +100,834
                          It's not within the powers of Councils to influence legislation passed by any colour of Government. I believe the present basic legislation was passed by a past Labour Government who, for those who remember, passed quite a few PC laws and regulations during their reign. Courts, Coroners and the like, are divorced from Politics despite various Governments and Organisations wishing to override them or pressurise them into judgements that is favourable to them. There is still a surfeit of committees with agendas within the walls of Parliament that seem to be able to use the Flag of PC moralityi to get their way.

• Agree Agree x 1
                          • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                            Ratings:
                            +7,618
                            Not strictly true :biggrin: - we were constantly bombarded with requests to comment on amendments to or the introduction of new acts/reg's. Whether they (central govt) took any notice was an entirely different matter - I now suspect that it was an enormous publicity stunt the get the Council's on-board - after all we were asked weren't we - so our input must have been valued - wasn't it?

Look at Universal Credit - a number of Council's volunteered to test out the new system - which in turn suggests that they did have an input into how things would turn out.:blue thumb:

• Agree Agree x 1
                            • Friendly Friendly x 1
                            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                              +100,834
                              Being requested to comment by Government Departments who are merely ticking the boxes and appearing to value the opinions of Councillors while not actually taking notice is completely different to a Government taking note and being influenced by them, clanless, .......that was my point.:dunno::coffee::snorky: A bit like my 3 daughters who when growing into young women used to ask
                              me for advice and then do the opposite, they were merely ticking the boxes:heehee:

• Like Like x 1
                              • Funny Funny x 1
                              • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                                Ratings:
                                +117,288
                                A similar thing used to happen between Local Authority and business organisations. The government said that, on certain things, Local Authority must consult with the local Chamber of Commerce. Our authority promptly did so. :blue thumb: I met with the leader of the Council (it was 98% Labour - and the leader was the most left-wing of them all) and discussed matters in an extremely friendly way (he was one of my customers and we always got on well). He finished by saying they had now consulted but have no intention of changing any of their policies or thoughts. :doh:. It was a purely political/ideological decision on their part which came back to bite them in the end. :noidea:

• Like Like x 2
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.