LATEST MOAN FROM YOU AND ME 2019

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by shiney, Jan 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,092
    IMG_2015.JPG
    I think I need a new pepper grinder!
    The whole lot spilled into my sauce and more so, over my cooker!
    I can...... almost....... laugh now
    A major recovery was launched, I think the sauce was saved ( to annoyed to try it )
    Note to self, don't grind pepper over the pan!!!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +117,306
      I know it's not much of a consolation but many years ago I learned that lesson when the top fell off the salt whilst above the pan! That was not recoverable.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
        +21,171
        Rear wheel drive cars in the snow!! Took me bloody ages to get out of a road earlier due to being on a slight incline and the road, naturally, hadn't been gritted! grrr

• Friendly Friendly x 3
        • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
          Ratings:
          +10,847
          I seem to be turning into a Victor Meldrew these days but.....my moan....

....Why do people think it's o.k. to tresspass on to land when it is snowing. Just because we have a hill behind our house (which we own) do people think it is o.k. to just waltz in and go sledging on it with their kids?!

I have to pay public liability insurance for anyone coming on site...and for the site maintenance. Yet they've waltzed in and used it and even more to my annoyance they've posted the pictures on facebook. TUT.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
          • Like Like x 1
          • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
            Ratings:
            +30,478
            @Snorky85 Are you able to put up no trespassing signs ? Maybe they don't know it's private property. :dunno:

• Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
            Ratings:
            +10,847
            Oh they know it is private for sure. They only have the gate access code so they can reach their side gate (a couple of meters from the main electric gates) as they have a right of access if they need it that way.

Proper narks me! I did the typical English thing and didn't say anything this time. Last time they blocked my access to my house by getting a massive oil tanker to deliver at their side gate (which they are not allowed to do) I kicked off, so I'm trying to keep the peace. They've even ruined the tarmac drive having heavy deliveries there and wont contribute to it's repair. Some people eh.

• Informative Informative x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
              Ratings:
              +30,478
              I'd be getting that access code changed and letting them know, with a smile, that you'll be happy to open it for them if they just give you a little notice ..

I cannot imagine the sense of intrusion this must cause have people traipsing over your property!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                Ratings:
                +10,847
                That’s a good point actually....ask them to give us notice if they want to use it. Not sure how that stands legally-they may need to be able to have free access 24/7. But theyre not very bright so might just accept what we say lol

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
                  Ratings:
                  +4,411
                  My favourite snow story is when I was working in Worcester and we had a house on the side of the Great Malvern. It was halfway down a side road off the main road that went around the hill. It was in a farm lane with five other houses. The farm was at the bottom of the lane.
                  The road opposite to ours was called "The Bank" it lead up to the school where our oldest child at the time went. The gradient which I guess would be similar to the farm lane opposite, was marked on a sign as 3 in 13. My wife had to push the pushchair up it with our youngest son in it when she took the eldest to school every day.

One day in the winter we were expecting heavy snow overnight. So I took my car up to the main road and parked it on a bit of open ground next to a house, in case I couldn't get it up the farm lane the following morning.
                  The snow was quite deep the following morning, but I was able to walk up the lane in my wellies as a tractor had been up it earlier and I could walk in the tracks it had made.
                  When I got to my car I found it was completely buried under a drift. So I started walking down the main road. After a few minutes, I heard a rattling behind me and saw this little old Austin A35 coming down the road, it had snow chains on the wheels. The driver stopped and offered me a lift.

"Where are you going?"

"Thanks, I'd like to get to the station to catch the 8.30 train, but I might not make it."

"Don't worry, you'll make it, I'm the driver."

• Funny Funny x 3
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
                    Ratings:
                    +6,899
                    Moan of the day is Anglesey County Council. Took my weekly trip to the recycling centre today to dispose of the black bags filled with soiled pet bedding. I was told that they can no longer accept pet waste. This is a problem for me as I fill a black bag every day with paper and puppy pads. I dispose of two bags a week into my own household bin but have five bags left. Don't know what to do with it now, except try to burn it.

A few weeks back the recycling centre refused to take my acrylic paint water. I cannot pour it down the sink as it contains plastic. Currently I am filling plastic bottles and putting them into various public waste bins around the island - quaint!

What's the point of a recycling centre that limits what you can recycle :wallbanging:. Small wonder people fly tip.

• shiney

Ratings:
                    +117,306
                    Have you tried phoning the head of waste management at the council and say you would appreciate their advice on how you dispose of pet waste? You may get a different answer from there.

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
                      Ratings:
                      +6,899
                      @shiney I am going to do that next week. The guy I spoke with yesterday said they have been given a list from the head office regarding items no longer accepted. So I may get the same response and I live on Anglesey - not the same as the rest of the uk!!. It's ridiculous that I want to dispose of the pet waste in a responsible way but am now told I cannot :wallbanging:.

Last year they stopped accepting the soiled hay, which I used to put into the garden waste skip. I can still put it into my green bin for kerb side collection although the bin doesn't hold very much. The contents of both the recycling centre skip and the household green bins go to the same place to make compost. This is an example of how Anglesey thinks and works :dunno: :scratch:.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • shiney

Ratings:
                        +117,306
                        @luciusmaximus it sounds like they need to get a Jobsworth Award! :doh: :heehee:

The single word was first coined by Jeremy Taylor over 50 years ago and it entered into the English language.

He's a satirical songwriter/folksinger and I knew him back in the very early 60's when he got kicked out of S. Africa for producing a 'politically incorrect' song during the apartheid era. That song became a big hit but got him exiled (although he's British). I think he has a home in Wales now. :blue thumb:

This is his Jobsworth song - not the original recording.

• luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
                        Ratings:
                        +6,899
                        Good song :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
                          Ratings:
                          +4,411
                          I watched the USA Superbowl last night. A long time fan. Our youngest son played American football at amateur level. We followed him around the North of England and the Midlands for the away games, every Sunday during the season, for about ten years before his knees gave out. He played tight-end, (big lad, good at blocking, could run and catch the ball) Even my wife now knows things like the "illegal receiver downfield" rules, though never watches the games.

In a play-off game, a week or so back, I was amused by the antics of the Patriot's coach sixty-seven year-old Bill Belichick, the most successful coach of the modern era..
                          If you've never seen a team's "playbook" I'd tell you it's the size of a telephone directory. For particular games the coach will have a dozen or so "plays" on a card, chosen from the book. Someone had "helpfully" put these on an i-Pad for him during that game. He tried looking at it, then gave up and tossed it behind him. Well done Bill! "If it ain't broke don't try to fix it." The Patriots won despite the loss of the i-Pad.

Anyway....Brilliant coverage by BBC...not..They took the CBS stream and commentary by two excellent knowledgeable observers, particularly Tony Romo, a retired quarter-back who observing the line up of both the offense and defense, was often able to predict the particular play before the snap and the reaction of the defenders.. But the BBC still had to have three pundits and a presenter in the BBC studio at the game.

But I'm at a loss why Gareth Southgate was there, probably all expences paid by the BBC. What sort of fan willing to stay up till the early hours of the morning to watch this, would want to here what Gareth Southgate had to say about it all?
                          So much "filler" like 45 minutes of it before the game started.
                          The half-time show was rubbish. Maroon 5, you couldn't pick a less musical group of posers. Wasn't kidded by the NFL who always let a lot of teenagers in to stand around the stage waving their arms in "orchestrated excitment" at thse half-time shows. If you looked at the spectators in their seats many weren't at all bothered.

Still over-all, worth staying up to watch.

Thread Status:
                        Not open for further replies.