1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

LATEST MOAN FROM YOU AND ME 2019

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by shiney, Jan 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,638
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +50,676

Aldis and Lidls geo-target their customers. There in the UK you probably can get crumpets/muffins, roasts, gravy granules, etc. Here we don't get such things but do get English cheddar. We get Portuguese things! :heehee: We sadly also get lots of German stuff :frown: but also American Trader Joe's brand which Aldi owns.

Lots of people shop at multiple shops.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,638
        Yeah, I've head you get a lot of German stuff, which is ok.:smile:
        But Morrisons at least, probably others like Tesco etc. have aisels purely for Polish people.;)

So I dont think I'm strange in wanting my own products in my own country.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Retired

Retired Some people are so poor all they have is money

Retired.
          Ratings:
          +5,791
          Hi,

Depends on the distance between your usual stores and Aldi Pete? At Waterloo here in Huddersfield I shop at Morrison's first getting there about 7:15am then round to Aldi all of two minutes depending on the traffic lights then to Home Bargains in the same retail park as Aldi; fresh soya savings at Aldi over £300 per year; I also buy cat biscuits; 85% Moser Roth dark cocoa chocolate; toilet rolls; tea cakes and multi seed bread; when I need trousers I buy Aldi work trousers they are supremely comfortable with lots of pockets the last I bought I think were under £30 for three pair. Yes people do shop around and I think few would rely solely on Aldi for all their purchases; walking to Aldi from Morrison's would take about five minutes. I do the three supermarkets twice weekly on Monday's and Friday's; I'm home by 8:30 or sooner depending whom I get talking to. In Aldi there is an employee who believes the world is flat as do his partner and child; he does his best to try to convert me but I keep telling him he needs help; I've not seen him for a couple of months so perhaps he's actually right and finally fallen off the planet? :wallbanging:

The Flat Earth Society

Nice one Victoria; I like your style. :)

I'd stay away from the Medway Mud wiseowl it could be dangerous. Up here in Morecambe when the tide goes out the sea disappears; years ago Chinese cockle pickers drowned being caught out by the tide change it comes in so fast they couldn't beat it to the shore; very sad indeed; a mobile phone would have been useless? It still goes on and to add to the danger there is also quicksand in the bay; here's the story of the cockle pickers (Link) and the quicksand;

Slavery 'worse' despite cockler deaths

upload_2019-7-13_17-11-3.png

I agree mobile phones are very useful but why do so many these days walk around with a mobile phone welded to their ear; kids must have a mobile phone too. My mobile phone cost £5 through eBay pay as you go about eight years ago and it brought tears to my eyes to put a second £10 of credit top up on it; when I topped it up I went online and paid £10 to Vodafone only to have the money returned; my phone is O2 so demonstrates how often I use it. I bought my mobile phone so that I could let Bron know I'm setting off back home from Rufforth Auto Jumble once a month; I use it for well under a minute each time and this is the only use it gets; last Saturday at Rufforth I was about to leave when I found my phone was missing; when I arrived back home Bron said do you know your mobile phone was down the side of the sofa cushion; it had slipped out of my trouser pocket; I can live quite well without a mobile phone; we very seldom use our landline; I prefer email. I'd much rather use both hands to do something useful like restoring the Suffolk Colt mower. Each to their own though.

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,638
            You can use your mobile phone to e mail believe it or not.
            You can also keep an eye on GC.:biggrin:

I dont use mine excessively, but it can be very useful.

• Like Like x 2
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
              +28,997
              Our Parish Council, after spending a fortune on large planters for around the village, planted them up in bright, hot sunshine with plants that must have been kept mollycoddled in a greehouse waiting for them to be filled with topsoil, because within days nearly all of them shrivelled up and were replaced.

This morning saw they'd bought an IBC to put on an Erde type trailer, fill almost to the brim and tow it using a ride on mower :yikes:. Their largest tralier has a maximum load of 600Kg, and they had an IBC with cubic meter of water in it. I also thought you could only legally tow 50% weight of towing vehicle, and I very nuch doubt if a ride on mower weighs more than 2 tonnes.

They were having a bit of trouble with it. It was also being driven along footpaths. I thought you can get away with this if using your ride on mower for cutting adjacent verges, but what about when using it to tow a heath robinson water bowser?

• Like Like x 1
              • Informative Informative x 1
                Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
              • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                Ratings:
                +31,853
                The lawn mower may not be taxed for towing/haulage

Hope the trailer had number plates, lights and brakes?

Saw a Quad bike this morning with 4 people on it, 2 side saddle, driver stood on right handside of bike and a forth person sit on the rack on the front, driver was wouldn't be in control!!!!
                Agri Quad bike are not aloud to carry passageners

We had here problem with large agri vehicals using a narrow street (7.5mgw) and hiting cars and shops, but because a 31ton tractor is exempt of 7.5mgw weight limit the council but weight limit to 3.5tons for all vehicals :biggrin: they had a very close one where a mother pushing her pram out of the shop and into the path of a tractor and trailer being driven on the footpath, she saw it out of her corner of her eye and pulled back :phew:

Lots of rules/laws being broken and not being policed!!!!:mad::sad:

• Like Like x 2
                • Retired

Retired.
                  Ratings:
                  +5,791
                  Hi,

It's possible the laws and rules are being broken here in the UK Jiffy by lack of deterrent?

Bron and I have a very close friend who is a retired senior magistrate and he tells us his hands were tied by the lenient laws where repeat offenders were in and out of court with no real punishment; I think the law comes down harder on TV licence dodgers and non paying train passengers than it does on drink/drug drivers; what does it take these days to get someone a proper life sentence; here's an example of the lowest of the low being moved to our local Butlins;

Rose West moved to HMP New Hall and inmates told 'be nice' to her

Just fancy; the inmates being told to be nice to her? :mute::mute::mute:

Huge fine for rat infested takeaway with 'blatant disregard for law'

Takeaway stank of rat urine and rodent ran past an inspector

Just an example above and how long before these are in business again under a different name. Bron and I never ever eat out or buy fast food etc we don't trust these places at all.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                    +28,997
                    It had a plate, but their other mower drove around for years with a different plate on the mower to that on the trailer. Need to check both on this one.

@Jiffy , Please can you elaborate on "The lawn mower may not be taxed for towing/haulage". (I was hoping you might respond to above post).

• Like Like x 1
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
                      +17,487
                      Wouldn’t....couldn’t ....be without my mobile phone and I’m always advising elderly folks to have one. Indispensable tool in today’s fast world :) They could be out walking their dogs and have a fall....use the mobile. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
                      • Like Like x 1
                      • Jiffy

Pyro
                        Ratings:
                        +31,853
                        There are lots of different rules which applys to road tax, as in what you can do with that machine, ie, agri tractor, you can use it to get a bag of cement for the farm/farm house etc but you can't use a tractor to get a bag of cement for the holiday home,

with a mower it's a mowing machine so you may have to check what it's aloud to do, it may not even be a loud to tow, was the trailer being towed be use for hire and reward with the water etc

@Scrungee google "ask the police" link below
                        PNLD FAQ - go to sudmit a question (top right hand side) you will get a reply in a few days :dbgrtmb: about the law of road laws, I've use it and been very good

• Jiffy

Pyro
                        Ratings:
                        +31,853
                        It may be under the same rules as agri and forestry where you can have one plate on the many trailers but that number plate must be of a vehical regeristed to the main farm holding

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                        Ratings:
                        +118,322
                        I buy my ribeye steak there. It's British, half the price of any other store and very good. 6oz for £2.99 and 8oz for £3.49 :dbgrtmb: I pass Aldi on the way to the other supermarkets.

Just in case anyone likes smoked salmon (I do) Sainsbury's had it on offer at 50% off today at £3.10 for 200gm. It freezes well so I bought a lot. Sarafi the cat will like me as he gets a 1" square piece (wafer thin) as a treat. :cat-kittyandsmiley:

• Like Like x 1
                        • Informative Informative x 1
                        • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
                          +17,487
                          Always avoided Lidl and Aldi....thought they sold cheap poor quality food.
                          When a Lidl opened near me I looked in and was surprised......good quality food but much cheaper.
                          Aldi is further away but I go there too for the same reason I visit Lidl
                          The steak Shiney mentioned.....I buy it at Aldi too. it’s very good:)
                          There is a snobbishness about such things....my nephew will shop in Lidl but carry a Waitrose bag! :noidea:

• Like Like x 2
                          • Funny Funny x 1
                          • Retired

Retired.
                            Ratings:
                            +5,791
                            Hi,

Bron and I visited our new Aldi when it opened a few years ago and we were put off by the pensioners who were draped over trolley's having just visited for a natter and to get warm; I'm a bit biased because I'm a coffin dodger too but when I visit a store I visit with the intention of purchasing something. It took quite a while before I decided to pop round to Aldi whilst doing my usual Morrison's shopping; I now visit Aldi twice weekly; Monday & Friday at 8am just as Aldi opens; I make a huge saving on fresh Soya alone; Morrison's fresh Soya about £1.10 per litre Aldi 59p; we use 2L per day and I buy packs of 8 so £4 per pack saving each time; Morrison's have the downright cheek to issue loyalty cards; when I checked our spend these days at Morrison's it would work out at around 160 card points each visit meaning in order to qualify for a £5 voucher I would need to present their loyalty card around 32 times; the checkout assistants say I'm losing out and can be quite put out that I don't give a hoot (sorry wiseowl) about Morrisons or their rubbish gimmicks. Just pop into Aldi two minutes from Morrison's dash in collect my wish list of items and dash out with not a loyalty card in sight; I like Morrison's but I often think I only visit to watch prices rise whilst Morrison's are displaying lots of signs saying prices are being lowered; Morrison's just con their customers treating them like idiots. What's the point of offering and giving me a slip of paper at the checkout saying I can save a bit if I spend over £40; I'm a Yorkshireman and shouldn't be let out without adult supervision with £40 to spend. :rasp:

Whilst in Aldi I always feel the stands down the middle of the store resemble the old fashioned jumble sales.

We never visit Lidl; it's too near Huddersfield Town and our local council hate car drivers so we never ever go into Huddersfield.

No moaning from me today though; I feel giddy with this rare sunshine and heat.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                            • Like Like x 1
                            Thread Status:
                            Not open for further replies.