1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

LATEST MOAN FROM YOU AND ME - 2021

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Jan 1, 2021.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,475
    I think the problem is that they keep bringing in so many security features because its so open to hackers that its even beating the honest people who are trying to use it.

I've got a book full of passwords for different sites, I've always thought the password idea was slightly childish, a bit like playing spies.

But now you have to do all kinds of stupid things to get into your own details, not sure how it will end.
    I mean you could use your finger print, but then who's to say someone has chopped your finger off and is using it, they will still have to add another level of security.
    And on and on and on.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
      Ratings:
      +30,604
      I do a lot of my banking online.

What bothers me the most though is sometimes I too run into hassles and after lots of patience mangling actions and completing the transaction, they have the nerve to add a service charge. For heavens sake, I did the work. Why the extra charge? If they must add service charge, then it should be a reduced rate for me doing the work! :mad:

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,482
        I'm just remembering a similar discussion we had recently @pete. :biggrin: Having tried to complete a questionnaire from my dentist (online) this afternoon with instructions on how to do that, which failed. What I said at the time still stands, I hate technology! :wallbanging: :pcthwack:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,204
          My first complaint/comment:-

I haven't looked at this thread since Friday and there are now too many things for me to comment on and agree :doh:

2nd - solar panels:-

I was lucky enough to be able to get the Feed In Tariff (paid to produce electricity) and because I live in Shineyland the leccy production has been good. So the panels had paid for themselves (payments and saving on leccy) in just over five years. It may not have been the case if interest rates had been higher but with them not being very good (and ending up rubbish) it seemed a good investment. There is an ecological upside to producing our electricity but also a downside (our fault) as we probably are a bit more profligate in our use of electricity.

3rd - Imperial:-

The metric/imperial problem was something that I was directly involved in with - one of the organisations I belonged to - but firstly, that newspaper article is simply a bit of stirring and typical of one of the reasons I don't bother with news?papers.

It mentions lbs and oz and pints. Apart from the initial fuss and legal problems 20 years ago the EU directive was cancelled very shortly afterwards. It initially said that the metric measure had to be put in bold in preference to the Imperial and that the items should be weighed in metric. That got changed shortly after the market trader was jailed and the rule said that you could do as you like as long as you showed the price per metric as well. Pubs have always continued to sell pints. So that article is a non-news one.

4th - banking:-

I don't do bank transfers online. I only use personal online banking for transferring between my accounts (savings and current etc.) as I put a block on any money going out of them (the moths in my wallet agreed with that :heehee:) apart from D/D or Standing Orders. This was after a hacker attempted to transfer money out (a problem at the bank and not here) and got caught.

Any bank transfers needed (virtually none) are done directly by a phone call to the bank where they ask the usual security questions and then do the job for me.

5th:-

I've now forgotten what the reason was that I logged on to this thread to complain about! :wallbanging:

• Like Like x 3
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
            Ratings:
            +89,725

Hello @shiney I think you were going to complain about the fact that you couldn't remember what the original complaints were:heehee:

• Funny Funny x 5
            • shiney

Ratings:
              +118,204
              @wiseowl I made a note of them :blue thumb: :ideaIPB: but can't remember where I put the note. :roflol:

• Funny Funny x 4
              • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                +45,988
                This is what I do on my phone, it's so quick and never been much hassle. At one time I used iris recognition but that wasn't 100% for me. I don't have a fingerprint reader on my pc I guess you can get them.

• Informative Informative x 2
                • hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
                  +656
                  We have lost all our local branches of banks and even reduced to 1 hole in the wall within a 10 mile radius . My closest actual bank nowadays is nearly 15 miles away. After god know how many you know what ups by RBS now Nat West basically I departed RBS after over 40 years. RBS went from being a highly regarded bank world wide to pretty much a laughing stock. Erstwhile, Fred Goodwin walked away with millions, some piece of work that one.
                  I now bank with First Direct and so far touch wood, no complaints. It seemed illogical for us to continue with a bank that we would rarely visit and even then it is changed days from actually knowing the manager and tellers etc! Before I departed RBS I went into my local branch when we had 1 and asked the bank manageress if she would witness my signature for a transfer of monies to Southern Ireland, answer no! , Fanbloodytastic, she had only known me for about 10 years.
                  At least with First Direct the person who answers the phone, usually very promptly does actually know a fair bit about banking and can more often than not answer any query without hesitation.

• Like Like x 2
                  • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +85,475
                    I've never had enough money to actually know the bank manager. :biggrin:

I use Natwest, and I have a branch just 400yrds away.
                    But there is only ever one person manning the counter and it has always been a long wait, and that has got worse because of covid, they don't open Saturdays now either, because of covid, any excuse to provide a rubbish service.

Even if you go in the bank they expect you to use all the self service technology inside. And won't serve you at the counter.

• Like Like x 2
                    • Agree Agree x 2
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                      Ratings:
                      +31,818
                      Our bank is 15miles away we can use a moblie bank which come once a week but if it can't get linked to saterlight then no banking, but if you are disable you have to do any banking on the street no wheelchair access so we now use a building society to pay all bills

• Informative Informative x 4
                      • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                        Ratings:
                        +30,604
                        @hailbopp and @Jiffy I'm surprised that your banks are so far away as that must be quite inconvenient. Hmmm, how does the underground economy operate if one has to travel a fair distance to get thecash! :heehee:

@Plantpot your reference to Monty Python reminded me of another moan. Although I thoroughly enjoyed their performances, I do get a little tired of people thinking that the cast/writers of that show were responsible for creating all of the skits. Lots are plagiarized. Probably the most blatant is the one about two rich men trying to outdo each other as to the depth of their humble beginnings. The original story, "Self Made Men" was written by Stephen Leacock, 1869 - 1944. His two men had tar barrels and piano boxes instead of shoe boxes otherwise the similarity is very obvious.

I like the silly walk. Caught myself doing a version whilst trying to scrape something from the bottom of my shoe! :)

• Funny Funny x 3
                        • Like Like x 2
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
                          Ratings:
                          +2,381
                          You learn something every day.. I didn't realise that some python material wasn't theirs.
                          None the less, no one could fault their delivery.
                          I always liked the "room for an argument" sketch..excellent timing.

• Agree Agree x 3
                          • Like Like x 1
                          • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                            Ratings:
                            +31,818
                            Our banks are so far away because they closed the vilage banks no money in it :biggrin: and people moving over to online, so you then have to go to the nearist one which in our case would about 20 miles away but we found out that the building society will also pays bill from our account so we moved from bank to building society which is 5 miles closer to home but we now do our shopping in the same town now so now the nearist village is a ghoust town not so good for shopping local or the planet so we try a do everything in one hit now

• Informative Informative x 3
                            • shiney

Ratings:
                              +118,204
                              Our nearest bank is 7 miles away in the nearest town but we can withdraw cash and pay in cheques at the village P.O. There's no 'hole in the wall' machine in the village anymore (I never used it) as it became a real hole in the wall when the ramraiders sorted it out!

• Like Like x 2
                              • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                                Ratings:
                                +7,623
                                Celebrities taking part in Strcictly Come Dancing and SAS Celebrity Special.

I only recognise one celebrity from the lot - that woman who used to compere Gladiators.

Is this an age thing?

• Like Like x 2