LATEST MOAN FROM YOU AND ME - 2022

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by shiney, Jan 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,274
    Sounds logical. But unfortunately what is logical and what is real aren't always the same think.

It's not just Germany by the way, I'm just slightly disappointed with Germany because they have the finances and political clout to make a difference, but they choose not to, or more specifically, their politicians do. I have no beef at all with ordinary German folk.

But that aside, the issue is that fuel is a commodity, and priced as such. It goes off the market rates. If the larger consumers can't get enough, even if everyone else has plenty, then those that struggle to source it will have to pay a higher price. If one customer has to pay more, and everyone else is willing to pay more even if there are no supply issues, then the price goes up.

Look at it like this. If you sell potatoes to a neighbour who for whatever reason can only buy from you, maybe they can't travel elsewhere to buy potatoes or maybe they've been barred from every shop, then you can put your price right up. If the other shops see you've put your prices right up and haven't lost all your customers, then they will also put their prices up and as long as their customers only know how to cook with potatoes, they'll keep buying them anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,358
      A great explanation of price fixing.:biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +17,637
        I went today to get Tesco Cat Biscuits which are the only ones appart from Purina that Bella will eat, and I decided to buy some chocolate eclairs for myself.

They were horrible sick - Copy.png like a mouth full of sugar sick - Copy.png
        No taste of chocolate or cream, just sweet sickly sugar sick - Copy.png
        I won't be buying them again.

That's my moan ... I try not to moan :smile:

• Like Like x 3
        • Friendly Friendly x 2
          Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
        • pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +84,358
          When I worked the boss would occasionally buy us some cream cakes if he was passing a bakery in his travels.
          All was well until he came back one day with some and said he had found a new shop and they do really big cakes with lots of cream.

It turned out it was that manmade cream,not sure what it is but very sickly, any way we ate them and didn't say anything, being a pretty diplomatic bunch.

After that he kept getting them but he must have over heard us talking one day, as it stopped and we went back to the real cream ones.

• Like Like x 5
          • Funny Funny x 3
          • Useful Useful x 1
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +117,296
            Not a moan but an interesting situation.

I have just been to the local (nearest small town) small supermarket to purchase a few things. I go in with a carrier bag, put all my shopping in it (not a lot) and then tip it out at the checkout. I've been doing it for years.

This time the cashier said that I should use a basket instead, so I asked why. "Because that's what they are for." To which I replied "But I don't need to use it for the few items that easily fit into my carrier bag".

She replied, "you still need to use the basket".

I said "I don't need, or wish to, touch a basket that someone else has touched. I also saw one of your customers jest leaving and picking her nose at the same time! It is quite likely that she had been doing that before she started shopping and I don't know which basket she used". "I need a good reason before I might change my regular habit."

She shrugged!

When I go shopping to the big supermarkets I do the self shop. The zappers that you use for doing so are all cleaned before being put back into their rack. So they don't stop you using your own bag.

• Informative Informative x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
              +45,635
              I wonder who was the loud one talking 'diplomatically' ;)

• Funny Funny x 4
              • Clueless 1 v2

Ratings:
                +2,274
                That means someone else has been nicking. I live in a much more chavvy neighborhood than you, and it's policy in all our local shops because shoplifters were going in, filling their bags up, and just walking out. I think the idea being that even if you're spotted loading your bag up, nobody bats an eyelid to someone walking out carrying a shopping bag because everyone is.

I usually do my main Tesco shop quite late because it's quieter and because I usually have other stuff I want to do (or have to do) earlier in the day. It's quieter, but it's also the time most of the riff raff are in. Loads of times I've seen the security guards actually earning their keep :)

• Like Like x 2
                • pete

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +84,358
                  Saw something the other day about this and they dont challenge shoplifters anymore in certain areas due to the fact they will probably end up stabbed or at least knocked about a bit.

Its getting bad and the law isn't interested, they just moan that they haven't got enough money.

But mostly its about who is getting robbed, if you tried it in Harrods you wouldn't get away with it, try it in a local corner shop and the owner has to expect it.

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • Clueless 1 v2

Ratings:
                    +2,274
                    It's funny you should say this, because on Saturday I was in a nearby posh town (well, posh for the northeast). We saw a shoplifter get chased down and subdued by an old man. I set off to assist but the old bloke was managing fine and had the younger man totally under control by the time I got across the road. I assume someone had called the police immediately because no sooner was the thief restrained by the old man, not one but two police vehicles came hurtling round the corner.

Contrast that to the more common parts where I live, the coppers just aren't bothered. I saw a fight break out in Aldi once. About half a dozen people physically scrapping inside the shop. The two security guards just dealt with it, no coppers to be seen

• Like Like x 1
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • pete

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +84,358
                      Coppers around here seem to spend more time sorting out domestic problems rather that tackling crime.
                      Its the same houses all the time with the police car parked outside.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Informative Informative x 1
                      • shiney

Ratings:
                        +117,296
                        It was at the checkout that I was told, after having emptied my bag (turned it upside down) at the checkout. So obviously not trying to conceal or steal anything.

I do my Tesco shopping at 6 a.m. and it is most definitely quiet then :blue thumb:. Also, they have stocked the shelves up overnight so I have the pick of the fruit and veg. I still use my own carrier bag but use the self shop. It's much quicker and I still don't have to use a basket or trolley. Most of the time, with a Tesco shop I use two carrier bags.

• Clueless 1 v2

Ratings:
                        +2,274
                        I believe you :) The staff have to be diplomatic. Nowadays all the big shops are on Facebook, where they get crucified if there's any possible way to suggest they treat anyone differently to anyone else. So while I didn't think for one second that you'd be a suspect, if they let you use your bag while stopping someone else, they'd be in the news by the next morning having received a thousand really harsh comments on Facebook.

• Agree Agree x 1
                        • shiney

Ratings:
                          +117,296
                          The silly thing is that as most large supermarkets have the hand held scanners and expect you to put your purchases straight into your carrier bag. So people are getting used to doing that. The checkout computer randomly picks customers to have their bags checked and the staff only have to check a few items (the computer says how many). I can be in and out much quicker as there never seems to be any queue at the self scan checkout, even if I go later in the day.

Apparently, research has shown that people tend to spend more if they self scan. I don't understand that for myself. I know what I want and get it.

One thing that does really annoy me in supermarkets is when they swap things around on the shelves. I write out my shopping list in the order that the items are stocked around the supermarket so that I can get the job done quicker. I sometimes have a quick chat to the home delivery pickers as we are working around the store and they also hate the moving of product to different aisles.

• Agree Agree x 2
                          • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
                            Ratings:
                            +20,951
                            Normal service has been resumed at my GP; I spent 20 minutes in a phone queue yesterday. You still need an appointment to enter the surgery and there appears to be a preference for email and phone contact with GPs.

• Informative Informative x 4
                            • Agree Agree x 1
                            • Friendly Friendly x 1
                            • pete

Retired
                              Ratings:
                              +84,358
                              I don't think we have many supermarkets around here where you scan the stuff as you go round.

They tried it some years ago but it seemed to fizzle out, maybe they were losing too much stuff.

The big thing around here seems to be ripping out all the manned tills and making nearly all of them self checkouts .

They can't get the staff, mainly because they don't want to pay them a decent wage, but for some reason they haven't worked that out yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
                              Thread Status:
                              Not open for further replies.