Latest Moan From You and Me 2024

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by JWK, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +18,745
    They're not in the minority around here, and they should have more consideration for people who are unable to use bikes ... many people are elderly or unwell or disabled and therefore have to rely on a car, they have no option, but most of the cyclists I've encountered seem to think they own the world :nonofinger:

2. Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,766
    Poor motorists. We get such the rough end of the stick. I mean we only get about 90% of the total width of the highway.

As you know all your local cyclists and have clearly had one to one discussions with them all to understand their point of view, this isn't aimed at you. But for others that might be reading this, and might have jumped to their own conclusions without ever having had a genuine open-minded discussion, I'm going to throw an idea out there for consideration. I'm not saying it's right, just that it's to be considered. Here goes.

What if, the cyclists, knowing that many drivers hate them for no other reason than that they've judged them as inferior, decide they are going to exercise their rights regardless of what others think? What if, after umpteen close passes, having been yelled at and in some cases threatened, what if after all that they have naturally started to get a little bit defensive? And what if sometimes that defensive attitude sometimes, in the minds of people that have already decided what their attitude is, presents itself as a bad attitude?

Just a few things to consider.

Final thought. I'm sure there's at least one cyclist somewhere that would like to take away our driving privileges. But in general terms, cyclists don't have any interest in stopping you or me or anyone else from driving our cars. They'd just prefer it if we considered them as human beings while doing so.

• Like Like x 3
    • Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +1,394
      I passed my driving test in 2002 when we moved to a house and office with no public transport connections. I don't remember anyone ever mentioning cyclists during lessons or the test.

Since then, road users have changed in both numbers and complexity and the driving test system has changed to include a written section asw ell as proving one can manage a metal box on wheels.

Having spent most of my driving life in Belgium and France I am well used to the phenomenon of individual cyclists as well as pelletons of riding clubs on outings or doing road races so am used to giving them space, just as I do for horses and pedestrians and even motorbikes, bendy buses and trucks transporting holiday cabins and even catamarans as "convois exceptionnels" on narrow country roads.

It's really not difficult to be courteous or even just sensible in the face of other road users.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +87,999
      My bit of iuput is, would you keep your driving licence for very long if you drove every day in the manner that around 50% of cyclists do, that is on the footpath one minute and then dropping back down into the road the next, without even a backward glance.

The other good one is either totally ignoring traffic lights if nothing is coming or mounting the pavement, negotiating the pedestrian crossing and then coming back onto the road, thereby avoiding the traffic lights.

I see that happen most times I'm out, but not seen a vehicle driver do it once yet.

They seem to think they are halfway between a pedestrian and a car, but it changes from minute to minute and everyone else is expected to look out for them.

The local park has a 9mph speed limit, but although the sign says it applies to bikes none of them stick to it.
      Any cars that enter the park are restricted by speed humps, but they leave gaps in them for speeding bikes.

All I want is a level playing field, just taken out my new dog insurance and it covers 2 million for third party accidents my dog might cause.
      Its about time cyclists got insurance.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
        +22,510
        What argument? Who says drivers are superior? :scratch:

People's general disgruntlement of cyclists seems simply due the lack of awareness that the mass of steel, vastly harder to manoeuvre and stop, is the primary roads user. Cyclists aren't ignorant of this yet appear to totally disregard it, and the rules associated with it, in their droves.
        I may have missed a post where superiority got declared but this is more to do with apparent reckless endangerment of road users in general; a suggestion of cycling tests and insurance is not unreasonable. If the driving test is reduced to being able to show you can move a tin box on wheels then the cycling on a road test can be to demonstrate awareness of the rules the driver follows and that the tin box can squish them if they act erratically. I think insurance is going to be introduced in any event as we become a more litigious society

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Clueless 1 v2

Ratings:
          +2,766
          The overwhelming evidence would seem to suggest that yes, you can drive your car pretty much however and wherever you like, including on pavements, without losing your licence.

• pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +87,999
          I dont think so,:biggrin:
          Parking on the pavement, yes I agree is wrong, but as to going around traffic lights by going on the pavement and then going back into the flow of traffic is not something a car driver would get away with for very long.:roflol:

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Clueless 1 v2

Ratings:
            +2,766
            Those that use the argument that are least drivers have passed a test. I've already explained my counter to that. No need to do so again. My text is still there.

There's a lot of generalisation there.

I guess so. But it's in the text I was replying to.
            Let's not kid ourselves. This isn't Facebook. We're all fairly intelligent here. It's not about reckless endangerment of road users in general. If it was about that that most of the criticism would be directed at several posters who have publicly demonstrated their lack of knowledge or total disregard of the rules of the road. This is about categorising anyone who ever uses a bike as a 'cyclist' for the sole purpose of pouring hate and prejudice.

We can agree on that point. Did you know that lots of cyclists have actually got such insurance and/or have completed formal training? Not all of course, but that doesn't matter, because to some, all cyclists are the same. Did you know that some drivers don't have a licence or insurance?

• pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +87,999
            If there were more bike tracks then the confrontation wouldn't exist.
            Bikes need their own space on modern roads, but we cant even fix potholes let alone build modern roads, probably lorry drivers hate car drivers and motor cyclists are fairly critical of other traffic.
            Its an age old problem, and its getting worse as the roads get more overcrowded.

• Like Like x 1
            • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
              At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
              Ratings:
              +50,255
              There are good and bad in every bunch, be it motorists or cyclists. One of the main bugbears I have is with the infrastructure we are all expected to use - more often than not it seems to have been set to almost deliberately put cyclists, pedestrians and motorists at loggerheads with each other.... I think the hope is, the whole time we are taking chunks out of each other and pointing the finger (or camera) at each other, we are not all ganging up together to beat the councils and government up about the state of the roads and pavements.

I am one that thinks cyclists should be identifiable, however - and insured.

• Like Like x 2
              • Agree Agree x 2
              • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +119,918
                Whether you are for, against or indifferent I think a large proportion of the population would agree with that.

I'm sure the government would agree as then they would be able to charge a registration fee. :whistle:

Hold on a moment - that means I would be agreeing with the government!!! :wallbanging:

• Funny Funny x 3
                • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Keen Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
                  Ratings:
                  +1,823
                  On another matter ... that's my TV switched off till 5 July! :th scifD36:

• Funny Funny x 7
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +18,745
                    Quite ! ... not that I switch it on much anyway

• Agree Agree x 2
                    • Philippa

Philippa Gardener

Ratings:
                      +68
                      The problem I have with cyclists are the few who, despite Cycle tracks installed at great cost, refuse to use them and instead prefer to put themselves, and possibly others, at risk on busy roads with lots of "heavy traffc".
                      I used to cycle but unable to nowadays so wouldn't decry those who do. Much the same as motorists, there are good and bad/dangerous ones.
                      I could be wrong but I find it surprising that cyclists, as road users, are still not liable to pay a road tax ( ? ) It would seem only fair given the state of our roads these days. What's that slogan........Every Little Helps :)

• Like Like x 3
                      • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                        Ratings:
                        +50,255
                        Not sure I would apply a tax to them as that would be difficult for households that have multiple bikes and in particular children's bikes (as children do not pay tax) - but, they should (including children) be identifiable and insured, even if that is on a bulk policy that covers the entire family, in my opinion.

People's view of cyclists will inevitably be coloured by where they live also - I notice the difference between where I live and the area I work in, despite the fact that the two locations are less than 10 miles apart. The 'London' cyclist is apparently quite different from those outside the city (yet still within the M25...) with the former being considerably worse behaviour wise.

• Informative Informative x 2