1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Laurel problems HELP

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by rich255, May 14, 2013.

1. rich255

rich255 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I'm having real problems with my laurel hedge planted around 1 year ago. The leaves are dying I have noticed a curling and it seems they are being eaten alive, where the leaves are curling I have noticed silk as if a grub has curled the leaf around itself and then eats its way out? Also last year before I landscaped my garden
    I had a number of potted plants I emptied most of the soil on to the old lawn before rotorvating it. It the soil from the pots I noticed a massive infestation of a tiny white grubs which I left in the soil before laying a new lawn. I think it could be vine weevil but that doesn't explain the grubs under the leaves?

I am a gardening beginner so please be kind.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Sorry, don't know the answer, but if other folk don't speak up I think a Photo might help

3. rich255

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, as soon as the rain stops I will get a few pictures to upload! :ThankYou:

4. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,405
    Hi rich255. Laurel are a bit susceptible to powdery mildew when the conditions are less than ideal, and the two main pests are vine weevil (which nibble semi-circular chunks out of the leaf edges) and leaf-miner (which tunnel through the leaves).
    The problem you describe sounds more like tortrix moth infestation. If the hedge is a manageable size, I'd snip off the affected bits, collect the leaves up and dispose of them by burning or binning, then give the hedge a generous feed and soak. If it's massive, and you don't mind using chemicals, then spraying with a systemic fungicide mixed with a systemic insecticide will tackle just about everything! Mildew will come back, though, if the roots are very dry.

5. rich255

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the reply, I do cut the leaves off that look like something is nesting in them. I do think I have vine weevil I'm going to go to the garden centre tomorrow and get some thing to tackle it. I also have two very large bay trees that are potted that are struggling, brown brittle leaves, could this be vine weevil? I will post pictures tomorrow.
    Thanks again.

6. noisette47

Ratings:
    +14,405
    Aieee...bay has it's own set of pests:sofa: The worst are scale insect and the leaf-miner that makes the edges curl and then the entire leaf distorts. If you don't use the leaves for cooking, then again, a systemic insecticide will sort out both of them.

• Like Like x 1
    • rich255

Ratings:
      +0
      Systemic insecticide it is then :) I am really grateful for the advice!

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      They won't have liked the cold winter - depending where abouts in the country you are (it would help if you could put your location in your profile please)

• noisette47

Ratings:
      +14,405
      I'll be getting a reputation as 'chemical happy':sad: but for non-edibles, systemics can be a quick and effective solution. Where possible, I'd use them as a soil drench.