1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lavatera not looking too hot...any ideas?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Gooseh, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Gooseh

Gooseh Gardener

Ratings:
    +18
    Greetings all, I bought a Lavatera (burgundy wine) last year as my girlfriend mentioned it was one of her favourite 'plants'. I planted it and then decided it wasn't getting enough sun so moved it a few days later, I'm not sure it entirely enjoyed this experience and coupled with a few days snow/frost (I think they're meant to be hardyish so I didn't bother with any protection) it now seems to be a bit forlorn looking. Any ideas on how to perk it up? I've just 'top dressed' it today in accordance with the info with bonemeal and some fresh compost.

Attached Files:

2. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,089
    It doesn't look very happy but I think they're pretty tough. You haven't much choice but to wait and see - it'll probably perk up in the end. Meanwhile, leave it alone, you've done everything you can.

3. gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
    +1,663
    I always cut my Laveteria down to less than 12" before the winter.​
    From the picture I can't see any reason why you can't cut yours back to less than 12", maybe down to the first new leaf, to give it a chance to get on.​
    Good luck with it.​

4. joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,385
    i cut mine back that i bought from B&Q last summer and its coming up nice and bushy now, it doesnt look very thick stem to me but that could be the size of the pic ,also why are you using bamboo cane?? i would cut it back like gcc3663 suggests :blue thumb:
    cos when lavatera take off they take off :heehee:

5. Gooseh

Gooseh Gardener

Ratings:
    +18
    P1010946 (768x1024).jpg
    No real reason to be honest for the bamboo..

Mine came from B&Q too ;> Now this may be a silly question, but cut it back - just get a pair of loppers and literally cut its poor arms in half??

This is what it looked like in Sept :<

I suppose if it gets worse I can get a new one and pretend its the same one, she rarely ventures past the fence so I doubt she'd notice :D

6. joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,385
    yes just cut the long stems back down as even height with each other as you can and it should bounce back,lavatera are easily pleased my mam grew them for yrs.if you have any seaweed liquid feed then give it some for a root boost at moment maybe but im sure it will spring into more life soon without it :blue thumb:it flowered last yr for you as did mine(and looks about the same size as mine then) and mines only in partial morning sun at this time of yr...
    come summer its:wow: how did get that size :heehee:

7. joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,385
    This is how mine looks today but its only took about 2 week to bush up
    [​IMG]
    And ive just heard its going to be around -5 tonight so fingers crossed anything survives :cry3:

• Like Like x 1
    • Gooseh

Gooseh Gardener

Ratings:
      +18
      It's looking better now :D

p1030246o.jpg

• Like Like x 3