1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawn Care in Hot Weather

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by moyra, May 28, 2012.

1. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    Can, I advise everyone of our new garden carers who seek advice with regard to how to look after their lawns. It is advisable to lift the height of your cutting blade during hot weather, if you must cut your lawns, so that the sun does not burn the roots of your grass, which can happen if you cut it with you blade on the shortest cut. This encourages your grass to thicken at the same time giving a nice finish to the lawn whilst giving it some growth to protect the roots.

• Like Like x 3
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      Good advice Moyra :blue thumb: I cut my lawn very short about 3 years ago , just before a hot dry spell ! I had large brown burnt patches all over it . It did take some time to get it back in shape .

• music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
      Ratings:
      +2,785
      Every Time I give the lawns a cut I Always give the lawns a spray with the hose using the shower setting attachment. I find using the strimmer on the edges does a lot of damage ,causing Browning to the grass as the strimmer tears the grass. As I say, after I have given the lawns a Cut with the Mower and the strimmer I give it A Good Shower, this repairs any damage done when cutting, and keeps the Lawn Nice and healthy and Green,no brown patches.:blue thumb:.

• moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +9,817
      Music, we can not do that down here because of the drought conditions in force. Still got a nice rain falling at the moment.:)

• Mikegreenestfingers

Mikegreenestfingers Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Also when the hosepipe ban is on for all you people in the south, just take your back box off your mower and let your clippings lay all over your lawn. Stop any scorch marks and saves money for people on water metres. Also for your beds and borders, chuck your clipping all around, not only does the nitrogen go back into the ground from the clippings but also keeps the roots from your flowers/shrubs cooler. Also weed free, or is that just my garden ahaha. BEWARE: Any treated lawn clippings from the likes of verdone etc need to be black binned.