1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawn care with dogs

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by xNattyx, Mar 8, 2013.

1. xNattyx

xNattyx Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi I have a question I have brought westland lawn weed feed and moss killer and I was wondering if it would be safe to use with dogs. Im going away for the weekend and thought it would be a good idea to use before I go but im abit worried if it will be ok still when I get back for my dogs to go on grass. On the box it says nothing about avoiding pets on area so does anyone think it will be ok?

Thanks

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,612
    It won't be a problem unless the dogs are inclined to dig up or eat the grass. You might find they try to stay off it anyway, most animals pick up the smell and it tends to register that this is something to be avoided. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,915
      we've always stayed well clear of anything like that because of the dogs (and the guinea pigs to a lesser extent - they'll be out on it regularly come the warmer months) we haven't got the biggest of gardens though so the dogs are on & off it constantly....and both of them nibble at the grass fairly regularly too so we'd rather be safe than sorry...the dogs are like babies in this house:doggieshmooze:

• Like Like x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        Bit hard to be sure in the absence of specific instructions on the box, but chemicals for amateur gardeners are intended to be "safe" - within reason.

I think greatest issue is animals bringing granular chemicals into the house on their feet, and then licking them. I would apply before rain so that it was washed in, once that's happened I wouldn't worry about it. If dogs eating the grass was an issue I am sure it would be listed on the box, I suppose I would be a bit more thoughtful about animals that eat grass, like guinea pigs. When we had them we just didn't treat an area of the lawn and kept the guinea pig's cage on that bit for a month or so.

• Like Like x 1
        • xNattyx

xNattyx Gardener

Ratings:
          +7
          Thanks for the replys decided not use it as I dont want to take the risk as they do eat the grass occasionally so just used in front garden where they dont go :)

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          Hi Xnattyx , Westland lawn feed is OK to use . Water it in well and keep pets and kids off it for 24 hours.....................:blue thumb:

• Informative Informative x 1