1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

lawn conundrum

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by simon_the _shrub, Nov 14, 2011.

1. simon_the _shrub

simon_the _shrub Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

complete novice here -Just joined this forum, just moved house and just looking at the garden. Its half an acre of lawn and looks like it could do with a mow - weather's been so mild (even for Cumbria!)- should i bother mowing or just leave it until spring?...it just always seems so wet from dew etc...:what:

2. Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
    Ratings:
    +7,297
    A pro will be along shortly, I am a novice just started
    My gut feeling would be how high the lawn was

If over 2" under 3" then cut as soon as you have a dry day, and leave the cuttings as mulch
    Over 3" cut to 2" and bag to compost

As I say I am new too, but that is my thoughts just to give you an answer

Welcome to GC by the way, they help you lots on here
    From a kid with a cactus in a pot to Lord Snowdon and his patch :-)

We even keep MONTY DON straight (in the gardening sence of the word)

Jack McHammocklashing

• Like Like x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,508
      Welcome to GC :dbgrtmb:

It depends on what sort of mower you have. If it's a rotary petrol motor then you shouldn't need to wait until the grass is completely dry - which doesn't happen all that often in Cumbria :D

If it needs cutting then cut it. Otherwise it will only get more difficult to cut later. If the grass is long then it would be best to compost it and not leave it as mulch. Long grass as mulch is inclined to clog and rot which you don't want if you like a good lawn. Leaving the cuttings on the lawn to help feed it should be done when you are cutting short grass and when it isn't too wet.

If the weather continues reasonably mild the grass will continue to grow for the next few weeks.

• Like Like x 1
      • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
        Ratings:
        +3,699
        Welcome to GC Simon,

Forecast for here in Cockermouth today is for periods of sun, the grass will be damp first thing but later in the day should be dry enough to mow. In general if I need to mow the grass and it's still damp I willl do it to two goes, once over to get most of it off then lower the mower blades for a final cut later that day or even the next. But I would not cut it to the shortest I can at this time of the year anyway.

Steve...:)

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,593
      • shiney

Ratings:
        +118,508
        Although a lawn feed would certainly improve it I think there certainly is a cost factor involved.

We've been here for 40 years and it would have cost us the current equivalent of £5,000!!!!!!! :rolleyespink: over that period. We've never actually spent anything on the lawn and now, in places, it's 50% non-grass - but it's green and looks good.

I cut my lawns regularly and in recent years, because of the mild winters down here, that means I end up cutting in December and January. This is fairly typical of my lawns where, as it's taken in January, you can see the squashed worm casts and some of the moss but the rest of the lawn looks like it's mainly grass - when it isn't :heehee:

[​IMG]

Dim, as a professional you need to make sure that your clients have the best you can do for them :dbgrtmb:. I have to get by with what I can still manage to do in the garden and a restricted garden budget. If I did all I would like to do in the garden it would cost between ten and twenty thousand a year :DOH:.

• Like Like x 1
        • Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
          +446
          I've just looked at your garden and thought how familiar it looks, I'm sure I recognise that bench! Then it dawned on me I've seen that photo here before :phew:

Time for more coffee methinks.

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          What i'd give for a garden/lawn like that ....:wub2:

• shiney

Ratings:
          +118,508
          Thanks loli,

that's about a fifth of the grass I have to cut :rolleyespink:, then there's all the hedges, trees, flower beds, veggie garden etc to do. It's getting a bit much for this old man :heehee:.

Everyone say...... Aaahhh :D or is it Agghhh :loll:

• Like Like x 1
          • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Aaahh...Nothing and No one grows old in a garden...just matures:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
            • shiney

Ratings:
              +118,508
            • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,593
              Half of my clients want a pristine lawn right through the year and use me even during winter to tend to their gardens and lawn ... they live in large houses and drive flashy cars .... the lawn is one of their main focal points and they even demand I cut with stripes .... some pay a premium for me to mow on a friday or saturday so that when they get visitors on their weekends, their gardens look good ... they are very house proud

they are always told beforehand of the different options as regards fertilizing the lawns .... they choose to pay ... I don't force them ....

and if you compare their lawns to the neighbour's lawns, you will see why they prefer to spend the extra few pounds twice or three times a year ... the difference is huge

1/4 of my clients are tight fisted and choose not to fertilize .... so I don't really care if they do or don't as it's no skin off my back ... I just work there once a week for a few hours and do the best I can during the time they pay me ... they are given the prices and I don't mark up the fertilizer (they get it at cost and are given a receipt) .... I just charge an extra hour labour to apply it

the other 1/4 of my clients always winge and only use me to mow when their grass is 3 foot high and when their neighbours complain .... I don't even mention the word 'fertilizer' to them

bottom line .... if you want a pristine lawn, you have to regulary feed it and also water it during the dry spells ... this is fact ....

and if you cannot afford to fertilize, then you don't have to, but don't knock those who choose to have a nice looking lawn just because they can afford to do so and you can't
              :scratch:

• daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +2,881
              If you want a pristine lawn you treat it as it should be, not waste money feeding it when it doesn`t need feeding. Also your clients pay your bills so don`t criticise them if they decide NOT to feed their lawns.:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
              • shiney

Ratings:
                +118,508
                Dai, well said :dbgrtmb:

Dim, I think you must have misunderstood what I said. So I've carefully read it again and still can't find anything in what I said that is knocking what other people do :scratch:. Also, having read again what I said I can't see anywhere that I said I can't afford it. All I said was that I had a restricted garden budget. They aren't mutually exclusive.

I've only said what I do. I don't criticise other people and I would never dream of calling people tight fisted, as I have no idea what people can afford - or want to afford. Outward signs of wealth don't necessarily mean they are wealthy and I don't judge people on their appearance.

• Like Like x 1
                • daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +2,881
                  Shiney, I am not refering to you, I am refering to *dim*.:dbgrtmb: