1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

lawn conundrum

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by simon_the _shrub, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    Fertilise a lawn here in Cumbria anytime except for our two weeks in summer, and before you can boil a kettle the rain will have washed it 10 miles downstream....I dare not even leave my mower out and turn my back...:loll:

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,388
      I'm not quite sure why you think it was a 'stab' at you :scratch:.

Unfortunately you seem to have taken a compliment as an insult. It's exactly the purpose of smilies to show the difference. Which I thought you would understand as you frequent a lot of forums.

I simply explained what my position is towards my lawn ....

• Like Like x 5
      • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
        Ratings:
        +6,543
        I hope Simon The Shrub comes back on here to read all the good advice given here or whether he will be put off by some of the strong views given :mute::D

Also this thread might have been better off in the lawn section as I keep forgetting where the original post is to catch up with it.{just a thought:D}

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,593

• shiney

Ratings:
        +118,388
        dim, I would never say that you were ripping off your clients and I hope no one else got that impression. I think that most gardeners do a great job and that they are very much under-appreciated. It's hard work in, sometimes, hostile weather at a reasonable price.

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,593
        thanks .... no probs, and just wanted to clarify my position as regards fall/autumn fertilizing of lawns

I have always told and encouraged all my clients (those of which enjoy gardening), to join and read posts on this forum ....

so just wanted to ensure that in case they read this thread, they know the reasons why I have fertilized their lawns over the past few weeks

:)

• shiney

Ratings:
        +118,388
        I'm sure that the ones you put down fertilser for really appreciate what you do but I hope the ones you called tight-fisted don't read this thread. :WINK1: :heehee: :heehee:

• Like Like x 3
        • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,593
          well, suppose there is only 1 way to find out ... and like they say, proof's in the pud

I work at a small garden every thursday .... owner of the home lives in Japan and rents his home out to doctors who work at a nearby hospital ....

I was given the go-ahead to do whatever I want, and have landscaped the garden in an exotic/tropical style (I overspent the budget, but have paid for the excess from my own pocket and have treated the garden as though it were my own)

I have not fertilized the lawn for a while, so will buy some scotts autumn lawn fertilizer (with my own money) and fertilize and 'water it in' tommorow, as I have to work there tommorow anyway

will post pics of the condition of the lawn as it is, and update until spring on this thread

• daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +2,881
          For it to be an honest test, you need to scarify, aerate and topdress the unfertilised area. :thumbsup:Also. I do not have a degree, just some qualifications.:dbgrtmb:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Did that with my ex girlfriend, worked a treat:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
          • daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +2,881
            That`s where you went wrong then Zig, you topdressed when you should have un....:dbgrtmb: Could be kiddies watching.:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
            • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,593
              no .... the test will be to determine if autumn/winter lawn fertilizer makes a difference or not to existing lawn ... so no parts of the lawn will recieve 'special treatment such as aerating and top dressing' ... that will be totally pointless

I will merely add autumn/lawn fertilizer to one part of the lawn, and leave the other part unfertilized without doing anything else, and will not mow until spring

• Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
              Ratings:
              +6,543
              Hi Dai,Could you give some advice as to why I have worm casts that have suddenly appeared on my front lawn and also what is the best way to get rid of them.Also what is the best stuff to use for topdressing the lawns after aerating...Thanks in advance:)

• Like Like x 1
              • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                +46,077
                So you’re asking me to read something that you haven’t bothered to read yourself? :what:

*dim* you are not getting the point here. What is recommended for the American mid-west has absolutely no relationship to Cumbria. Read Steve R's post, that's from someone who lives and works the soil in that location.

You know, customers are not always right and they will respect you if you disagree with them and tell them why. Applying nitrogen at this time of the year is a waste of time and money and is also very very very bad for the environment. It might green up the lawn for a week or two but it will be at the expense of lax growth that will get badly damaged when the frosts come.

• Like Like x 1
                • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  Never mind the kiddies,between you you're corrupting me...:D:loll:

• Like Like x 1