1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawn Drainage Advice

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by spider, Jun 26, 2006.

1. spider

spider Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Just moved to an area with heavy clay soil and the original lawn just could not drain, I have installed land drains hoping that will cure it, I have not relaid the lawn yet, my question is as the dry weather has caused the clay to crack and open up, what would be the best thing to aid drainage before the soil swells, would sharp sand be any good to fill the cracks or should I put something that will break down the clay, if so what? Thanks in advance from a complete novice.

Ian

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I would leave it strictly alone at the moment - until we have had a thorough soaking - enough that you can work it with a fork going down a good 3-4 inches - and prepare the surface well, filling in the cracks and working in lots of organic matter if you can find some. Filling the cracks with sand, will just leave areas of fast drainage, which will give you a patchy lawn.

3. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I'd not worry about the patchiness - the roots will make their way to where the water is. Take advantage and get some washed co**** sharp sand in. I'd guess the area must have been pretty well totalled by installing the drainage, so I would be inclined to not work it too much more to avoid losing the soil structure. If you do decide to dig it over then add lime to keep the clay friable and like Fran says add whatever organic matter you can get hold of into it.

4. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    AAgh! Of course...the curse of the co*rse language again. Its a fair cop - I've been moderated :(

5. spider

spider Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, will horse manure be OK to try and dig in or is there something better?

6. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Well rotted horse manure may be a bit rich (great for roses though) - but that mixed with grass cuttings and kitchen veggie scaps, and newspaper paper should give you a good compost in a few months - following normal composting methods.

The addition of organic matter is to help break up the clay - rather than feed it but any rotted vegetable matter will do.