1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawn Imrovements

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by IainC, Jun 21, 2019.

1. IainC

IainC Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a number of different weeds growing through my grass (broad leaf, creeping buttercup, moss etc) and want to sort it out but am a novice at this kind of thing. I have a dog and am keen to try and not use pesticides to kill the weeds if possible. Would improving the soil conditions by cutting, scarifying, aerating, composting, fertilising and overseeding do enough for the grass to out compete the weeds or should I kill the weeds first? Any other suggestions/advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance!

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Hello IainC:)
    If mine, I would use a lawn weed killer but you are not keen are you? A single application would kill most of those weeds and be safe for your dog after 24 hours or so.
    However, raising the height of the mower blades will help the grass. Plus regular, weekly, mowing. I would apply a liquid lawn feed and this would make quite a difference. It would enable the grass to compete with those weeds. Not ideal right now but you could over seed
    Those treatments you mention are best left until September I think:)

3. IainC

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Verdun. I think if lawn weed killer is the best way to initially control the weeds then I'm sure I can keep the dog off the grass for a day or two until safe. So the best way forward would be lawn killer then a liquid feed along with regular mowing at a higher height and leave the scarifying, aerating, composting and seeding until autumn?

4. Verdun

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Yes, it’s what I would do Iain :)

5. IainC

Ratings:
    +0
    One more question! Can I use these at the same time or would I use the weed killer and then then the fertiliser once the weeds are dead?

6. Verdun

Ratings:
    +17,487
    I use weed killer first and then feed :)
    You could use a combined feed and weed....maybe best way :)

7. Graham B

Graham B Gardener

Ratings:
    +491
    Most broad-leaved weeds can't be outcompeted though. Dandelions, daisies, buttercups and plantain are the usual culprits, but if your lawn is bad then you could also have nettle, dead nettle, bugle, field balm, mallow, various types of thistle, and so on. Mowing generally won't shift them once they're in, because their leaves stop any grass from getting a look-in.

Doggy daycare is a good move. Most weedkillers are non-toxic when they're dry, so spray in the morning when the hound is gone and it'll been fine when they're back.