1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawn Mower Design - Who in your family cuts the grass?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Tom_Key, Oct 21, 2006.

1. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Tom Key. I'm 36, female and 5ft 3"!!

Hope that helps your anthropometrics!! [​IMG]

2. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry Tom - I've only just seen this thread.

Agree with the others - cutting to the edge effectively is the key issue. I like a nice roller too for stripes. I use an electric rotary mower on wheels (not a hover)with a roller. Another bug bear is the cable which I am always tripping over, getting tangled and cutting through.

How about an edge attachment like a strimmer and a heavy re-chargeable battery instead of a mains cable? If the heavy battery sat over the roller, it would have the additional benefit of making the roller more effective and so give better stripes.

I always do the mowing and hate it! I am male, six foot tall and 62 years young.

3. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    My friend is in her 60s and sub 5' (we don't talk about that!) She also has arthritic hands and had to give up cutting her own grass and the Council have done it this year (costs a fortune for what they do AND they make a huge mess) I'll be doing it next year.

For anyone like that though a mower needs to be quite light and have adjustable handles with decent sized hand controls. And please, make sure the grass actually goes into the box, even if it is a bit wet!

I'm probably unique in I love doing edges properly - It makes even the tattiest of lawns look really smart. I use a push mower at an angle to the edge and over run it a bit as I progress up the border then use shears to cut the vertical sides back to the face. Quick rake with a spring tine then a light trim after again when I've finished. Once or twice a year they also get shaved with a razor sharp edging spade.

4. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Male 23 5ft.11" Blue eyes,(all three),Long flowing blond hair,(which often gets caught in the pull cord :mad: ) ..Part time stand in for numerous film & TV stars,(just lost the Fred Elliot job! :rolleyes: )and P-Trainer to Dawn French( I'm sick of Terrys-all-Gold [​IMG] ).
    And I hope to publish my two books soon entitled.. 'Confessions of a Glazier'( [​IMG] )and 'Trust Me,Would I Lie?'( [​IMG] )

5. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Err... Pal should have said of course 'Fred Flintstone' :D

6. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  7. Beefy

Beefy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Im 6ft 3 , male, 38 years old and cut about 20 acres of grass with this every week
    [​IMG]
    can I have a heated cup holder for my coffee,more leg room ,CD player and DVD with 42 inch plasma screen? :D :D :D
    handsfree mobile kit and sat nav would be good to

[ 22. October 2006, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Beefy ]

8. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree with Hornbeam about the battery, I won't cut the grass in 'my bit' of the garden cos electricity terrifies me, won't even use a steam iron. Also cable is never long enough according to beloved.

9. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  10. Beefy

Beefy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    nice one Froggy
    still no cup holder!

11. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Re anthropometrics, it sounds like a very painful condition - have you tried a copper bracelet? :rolleyes:

I'm 47 - sorry, forgot to put that little detail in.

12. Tom_Key

Tom_Key Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Beefy, ur just showing off, but have a word with MTV, and get them make a new show called "pimp my lawn mower", all the stuff you want is a bit out of my league!

New question, are there any parents out there that have things like childrens climbing frames, swings etc that they have to cut around, if so what problems does this throw up?

Once again thanks for every ones input so far, ill be sure to mention you all in my up and come book "how i made millions from my revolutionary lawn mower design"!

13. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I have to do this regularly, as it's my work. mostly it's the access point of view - and you really need a strimmer to get close up and round the poles - a lawn-mower would have problems dealing with it. The other prob is the bits that get in the way, like the swing-seat itself - trying to manoeuvre yourself, let alone a mower round a lot of these things is interesting, to say the least.

Can't wait for the book!!

14. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    E-mail me with the contract details ;) ..I have an issue with the kiddies slide :mad: ...How do you get that b****y thing out of the way?

15. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    hi Tom,
    from your portfolio I would never have guessed that you want to design lawn mowers, but, nevertheless..all the best

[ 23. October 2006, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: miraflores ]