1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawn woes

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by MJME, Aug 5, 2006.

1. MJME

MJME Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    These pics show my back garden. I believe it is pretty much west facing as the sun sets behind the fence you can see.

I've got a few patchy areas of grass which were quite mossy. I cleared the moss out and after preparing the patches, I lobbed some seed down. That was approx2 months ago and most of the seed hasn't taken very well.

I think (watch out noob alert!!) that the problem I have is that the shrubs are giving too much cover from the sun so the grass isn't getting enough natural light. I say that because the patchy areas are all quite densely covered by shrub growth.

IF (!!) that is right, then is it worth me trying again with seed/or slapping down a roll or 2 of turf for speed, or would the problem come back because of the shrub covering?

In case you need to know - the lawn was laid down (along with the shrubs) approx 3 yrs ago. The problem with the patchy lawn has only started to occur this year, now the shrubs are a decent height.

Thanks for any help!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k250/milese70/DSCN2007.jpg[/img][/url]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    Welcome MJME, I would say you were right about the overhang of shrubs causing it. I get the same with the grass next to my hosta bed. If its really bad then top dress and seed but mine I fully expect to recover over the winter. Looks like the shrubs you have could take a good trimming to get them clear of the lawn.

BM [​IMG]

3. MJME

MJME Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply BM!

I might therefore chuck down a roll or 2 of pre-prepared turf for speed as I have tried the seed option and it didn't take too well.

4. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    You will get a better edge I guess with new turf, it is difficult to seed right up to the bed. Plus fixing a small area with new turf isn't exactly expensive. Only thing is it might not match in and will take a season or two to blend in. Can't you enlarge the bed and not bother at all ?

5. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    If the shrubs caused the sp****ness of the grass, both from shade, and from drying the area - I think putting down more turf is just going to go the same way. Why not go with the flow and cut your bed deeper, planting lower growing shade loving flowering plants in front, so that the problem is not repeated in the new line.

6. MJME

MJME Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks BM

Hi Fran - that's a cool idea! Will be just as quick and aesthetically more pleasing as well.

7. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    MJME

I have exactly the same problem as you.

And I'm going to do what BM has suggested to you enlarge the bed. I think it will look more attractive as lawn is okay but boring, wheras planting new things will add more variety and colour.

Think I'm going to do mine in the spring though.

Stingo [​IMG]