1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Laws regarding garden/lawn watering

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by slimzee, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    " If these water company's arn't going to invest some of the massive profits they've taken from people"

How much did your local water company invest last year?

And what percentage of Profit / Turnover was that?

I'm curious to know what you consider is unreasonable profit, and pitiful investment. You may well be right, but I don't think it helps to discuss it without a citation to the actual data.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    You can bet it investment is minimal compared to the profit, other than the investment in the directors pensions

3. Will Ting

Will Ting Gardener

Ratings:
    +0

yes, fair point and I'm not an expert. :D but I did read, Thames Water are increasing their water bills by 17% over the next 5 years when their profit is already £605 million.( Thatâ??s after theyâ??ve taken out their expenses and directors pensions ) What have they spent on investment? I don't know, but again I read that if they fixed the leaks we wouldn't have a problem with a shortage in some areas.

4. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I wonder what happened to the original question for this thread rather than this political ping-pong

5. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    The answer as far as I'm concerned is water when you like, it a bit of a funny question.

6. Will Ting

Will Ting Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I think it was answered by the poster themselves, but in case you missed it, it is illegal to use a sprinkler in the garden without a meter in the Thames Water district.

7. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    I know I'm old fashioned but "non interactive watering" is a bit beyond me. lol

8. Hec

Hec Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    That's why I'm glad I've got a meter £450 a year to £150 a year BUT I really don't want everyone to have one or there will no longer be an incentive to keep it the cheaper option.

My bills are around £13.00 month so pretty low and that includes using the hosepipe now and again though I have 3 water butts and it is only once they are empty I resort to mains water.

Having a meter doesn't stop me using water for whatever I want BUT it does make me think twice about whether I need to or not.

9. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "You can bet it investment is minimal compared to the profit, other than the investment in the directors pensions"

No, I can't bet that, nor can you. What you need is a citation rather than supposition!

"Thames Water are increasing their water bills by 17% over the next 5 years when their profit is already £605 million"

I read in the paper that several Water Boards have the highest profits in the top 100 league tables.
    I'm no expert, but does their investment in infrastructure come from profit? If so seems to be a good thing. (I would have expected they could claim investment in infrastructure before profit, but as I say I'm no expert)

"Having a meter doesn't stop me using water for whatever I want BUT it does make me think twice about whether I need to or not."

I think that is the key point. We have reduced our water usage by half in the last couple of years. We have fixed minor leaks in our house, we have put clockwork timers on outdoor taps (in case we forget we left the hose on), we have installed water butts to reduce water used in the garden.

And every reduction most people [i.e. folk on water meters and mains sewerage] make also reduces their pro-rata sewerage charge :thumb:

Where's the incentive for people on Water Rates who say "The company makes lots of profits, I don't care how much I use" to save water? Their careless consumption is paid for by everyone else on water rates as its just an averaged charge.

I fully agree that the water companies should fix the leaks and improve their infrastructure. (They tell me they are investing billions doing that, and my opinion is that the truth is somewhere in the middle :()

What I would really like is for them to provide me with greywater. I deeply resent putting fully chlorinated, cleaned, potable water on the garden - grand waste of money. Any old water would do for that, and be much cheaper to provide.

10. Will Ting

Will Ting Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    No expert here either. :D but I would have expected this company to claim for everything, including 'investment in infrastructure' before profit also.

Interesting idea about 'grey water' I've often thought about connecting the shower/bath to a water tank under the garden, just waiting others to do it first so I can copy them. :D

11. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    It would be a good plan for the government to introduce grants or other subsidies for us the people to have this kind of grey water system installed-they do it for central heating and insulation, and for once we the people who actually pay the taxes might benefit from it-AND small businesses. plumbers, builders, etc would benefit in increased business.

If this were to happen I would certainly be looking at getting a meter installed as the garden really is the place I use the most water-like you though afterI have used up my butts.

12. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Just move to the Northeast Slimzee, its rained for 3 years :(

13. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    We here, a family of 6 do not have a meter, nor do I ever want to have one while our house is full!

I work in lettings ..... and am absolutely shocked at how high some of our tenants bills are for just two people ..... who are all on meters (as new build properties).

My own boss pays probably 3 times the amount I do for water and again there is only two of them, with no pets, no kids and they dont even wash their car at home either! They water the garden rarely.

Whereas we have 4 teenagers, two adults, two dogs, 4 turtles, 100's of fish (other half breeds them) so you can only imagine how much water we use.

The dishwasher is on twice a day
    The washing machine maybe 4 times a day
    Water changes for turtles - once a week
    Water changes for about 20 fish tanks - once a week
    Showers - one each per day (apart from one child who has 2/3 a day due to playing lots of sports)

And all that is before we pee, use water to cook, drink ...... or water the garden!

The meter would be wizzing around!! Am definately sticking to one set charge .... for as long as they legally allow me too :)

14. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,169
    Thats completely the opposite to my experience Sam, how much do you pay?

I just looked back at our old bills and now we are on a meter we pay about £30 a month, if we were still on the old Rateable Value fixed charge scam it would be three times that. :scratch:

15. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    That sort of thing is exactly what is putting me off. I simply cannot afford my bills to go any higher.