1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Laying Turf over old lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by shah, Apr 6, 2005.

1. shah

shah Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks, I need to raise my lawn lawn by 4 inches. Can I add 4 inches of topsoil over the existing lawn and then lay new turf onto this. Or should I remove the old lawn first and then add topsoil and new turf ?

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Me I would remove the old lawn first - but that is because my lawn is a little less than bowling green quality. So leaving it would just bring the old problems to the raised lawn - much better to start with a clean sheet.

Fran

3. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Shah, if it is only a question of raising your lawn,and was good lawn, make sure it's weedfree what you can detect now, then you can put good new topsoil on and lay new turf. Let soil settle for a week or two before you lay new turf.Needs to be rolled and prepared properly before you lay new lawn. Have you thought of seeding ? or is it not practicle?

4. shah

shah Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Fran and Ladybird, I will de-weed the lawn, add 6 inches of topsoil, let it settle for a week, roll it and add turf for a quicker end result. I need to keep the kids off it for a few weeks.

5. revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    If it's a reasonble lawn is there any reason you can't hire a turf cutter roll up your old lawn and put it back down on top of the new top soil?