Lean to growing versus polytunel

Discussion in 'Poly-Tunnel Gardening' started by freeflow, Jan 14, 2017.

1. freeflow

freeflow Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi
    We are thinking of growing some salads,herbs,tomato plants and potted fruit. i was thinking that as we are in a windy area a polytunnel could cause trouble and we got a lean to with Clear Corrugated PVC Sheet as a roof and in the summer this does get very hot and bright.
    Is there any reason i could not grow in the lean to instead of a polytunnel or greenhouse?Is a Corrugated PVC not as effective as a roof like eg for letting in light?We can ventilate it quit well if need be
    Any help welcome

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
      Ratings:
      +3,698
      I'm fairly surprised there are no replies here yet, anyway..I'll get the replies started now and I'm certain a few more will come after this.

Growing under cover is pretty much the same whether it's four canes stuck in the ground with a clear plastic sheet thrown over the top or a massive polytunnel, I do both and variations in between.

Yes you will need to ventilate and water/feed too, could you post some photos of your growing space for us to view...you will get more direct comments to help you if you help us to do so.

Have a look at my tunnels topic here Steve's Polytunnels They should arm you with some helpful info, not only that but if you anchor them well enough they will withstand very very high winds.

Have you got beds dug into the ground? Or are you planning on growing in gro-bags or pots? How tall/wide/long is the space.

Let us know and we can get you set off in the right direction.

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
        Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +117,290
        It will also depend on which way the wall faces that has the lean-to. This can have an effect when comparing with a poly tunnel or greenhouse.

As Steve says, ventilation and watering is essential.

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        :sign0016: to GC @freeflow

This is going to be your over riding factor, whatever you choose!
        Four things immediately spring to mind: direction (which way would it face?) Prevailing wind (also based on which way would it face)? Space available? Budget!

You could grow your herbs, tomatoes and potted fruit in either and a few in neither. Potted fruit should not (necessarily) require the use of a lean-to or poly tunnel or greenhouse but that would depend on the types of fruits you intend growing; the aspect you intend growing them in (south and west being the better options).
        Some "salads" (although, that does very much depend on what you mean by "salads") are also possible to grow in semi to full shade (I'm talking lettuces specifically but could include spring onions etc). Many mints will grow in semi-shade/shaded areas too.

I think it may be useful, in the interests of getting the very best of responses, to be a little more specific in what you wish to thrive in your windy garden under a PVC lean to grow house vs poly tunnel. With either option you are going to have to consider a way of securing those units. It may be easier, and less hassle, to secure a lean to (couple of large cup hook wotsits to a solid background) than a poly tunnel which might need a more "considered" approach.

Tomatoes could do well in a lean-to effort, but watering and ventilation would be key (plus, they would need starting off indoors, then transplanting out).

Sage, rosemary, some thymes, fennel (bronze and standard), a variety of mints, in my experience, would grow quite well without any aid from a lean-to, poly-tunnel or greenhouse. Pop them in pots (gives you the advantage of moving them around depending on the sun); or even in semi-shade in the ground and they could flourish, depending on variety.

Potted fruits would need more sun, but, once again, it is aspect which will determine if you get fruits (as well as watering/fertilisation).

Tomatoes would definitely give a better yield from being started off in a lean-to/cloche/greenhouse/poly tunnel but, having said that, I have no cold frame/cloche/greenhouse/ ploy tunnel/lean-to and I have successfully harvested tomatoes. (Seed started indoors, acclimatised after frosts, placed in sunniest position; fertilised, watered, voila!)

Which herbs, potted fruits, vegetables are you keen to grow? Which aspect does your garden favour? How would you "secure" your lean-to vs poly tunnel? How much "space" do you have? How much time do you have to spare to make this work for you? What type of soil to you have? Could you possibly put your general location into your profile to give members a clearer idea of the weather conditions you are up against? :)

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
          Ratings:
          +30,478
          If the lean to is against your home, the wall may hold a lot of heat and release it at night. Great advantage for early/late season extension. I would have liked a lean to rather than a greenhouse but for some reason they are far more pricey.

• Like Like x 1
          • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
            Ratings:
            +30,478
            Forgot to mention there is clear corrugated sheeting available so you can replace the rooftop?

• Like Like x 1