1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Learning from the past.

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Mike Allen, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Hi Rob. I remember seeing Percy on TV, I think he was on about a Blue Peter garden. Anyway, as you say, there he was suited, collar & tie. He'd picked up a pot with a geranium cutting in and the cutting fell out. Percy simply said, sod it, and poking his finger into the compost popped the cutting back in.

How times have changed. Men used to wear collars and ties, now anything goes

2. RobB

RobB Gardener

Ratings:
    +231
    Yes MA, everyone on TV is a "Celebrity or a Star" be they a cook, a nomark appearing on an island or dancing somewhere.
    I've no time for these programmes except for Rick Stein who seems to be a bit humble and not showy.
    There was another gardener who died suddenly who was similar but can't think of his name.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
      +3,718
      Could it be Geoff Hamilton, only heard good things about him, very good at what he did.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • RobB

RobB Gardener

Ratings:
        +231
        That's him, another down to earth fella who could get his knowledge over in a way that was easy to understand.
        I can't take to Monty Don or Nigel Slater...................as for Nigella:love30:

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
        Ratings:
        +6,097
        Ah! Rick Stein. Real, natural, down to earth. Watched his series travelling the South Americas. At home, no fancy kitchen, simply good cooking.

I have just rec'd a CD with old books about Lilies. The first book having been written in 1870's. I have grown hundreds of lilies and at the same time lost a lot of money with them. The Martagons are very susceptible to rotting. Here for the very first time I read about when planting bulbs that have segments, to avoid rotting, place the bulbs on their side with the top or open part facing down the slope. The shoot will curve and grow normally. Never too old to learn.