1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lemon Tree Protection

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by louicopp, Nov 15, 2014.

1. louicopp

louicopp Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi,

I have a lemon tree in my garden and I was wondering when I should put a fleece cover on it and if that will be sufficient during winter. The tree is too big to bring indoors, so that's out of the question but I have been able to move it to a spot where its relatively sheltered from the wind.

Thanks

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    Could be a bit dodgy, depends an awful lot on how much frost we get this winter.

They dont like to be too warm in winter, but they also dont like hard frost.
    If we get a winter like last year you could get away with some fleece, perhaps double thickness, on only the frosty nights, removing as soon as the weather becomes mild again.

I'm hoping for a mild one,:)

But who knows, I find the fleece bags quite useful.

3. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,322
    I would also think about giving the pot protection as well as the roots need to be kept frost free and also not soaking wet either , you could use polystyrene used from packing tv fridges etc .

Have you raised the pot off the ground with pot feet as this helps with drainage, also I would check the holes in the bottom of the pot are NOT blocked , quickest way to check is water the pot it should be able to drain away quickly if not use a skrew driver or the like to check the drainage holes with and give it a poke and twist , I lost a acer many years ago siting on the lawn and I dint realise it had bean waterlogged for weeks and it killed the plant.

Spruce

4. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,533
    If it's too big to bring indoors has it overwintered outside before and did you give it protection then or is it a new plant? Fleece bags are good to some extent depending on overnight lows if you can find one big enough.

5. louicopp

louicopp Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi,

thanks for all the great advice!

The plant belonged to my parents but they moved into a flat and gave it to me earlier this year. I honestly don't know if they brought it indoors - I have a feeling they probably did. I'll check with them when they get back from their holiday.

We re-potted it and put lots of big stones at the bottom of the pot but I couldn't say that it hasn't since clogged so I'll check it tomorrow.

We have a ton of styrofoam. How would I use that? Sorry for the stupid question.

6. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,322
    if you mean lots of pieces I would put into bin bags and use them around the pot if needed, but I would have at the ready , plants can take the cold its the wet thats the problem .

Spruce

7. Bluedun

Bluedun Gardener

Layabout
    Ratings:
    +37
    I put my Lemon tree in a frost free greenhouse. (heated to 5ÂșC over winter intended for my Fuchsias).

Trevor