1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lemon tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by xf8u39, May 24, 2020.

1. xf8u39

xf8u39 Gardener

Mechanical Designer
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi all,

I have a question about lemon trees.
    The wife went out shopping today and came home with a lemon tree.

It is about 3Ft tall, and, if you study the image carefully you will see that it has been pruned.

I would like to know
    1) if I am able to plant it outside and survive a UK winter, and:
    2) will it continue to grow despite being pruned
    3) If I plant in front garden it will receive full sun almost all day. Are lemon trees ok with that or will partial shade be required. If so I could plant in back garden.

I have tried to attach an image but it just says enter URL. Why can't I just browse to my pictures folder and select the image I want.

Thanks in advance

Michael.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    Dont think it will survive, if it does it wont actually thrive.
    I'd keep it as a pot plant and keep it frost free over winter.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    You need to go to Upload a file, to add a picture off your hard drive.

Bottom of the page next to post reply.

4. xf8u39

xf8u39 Gardener

Mechanical Designer
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thank you
    FYI

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +7,684
      ooo... a lemon tree is a wonderful houseplant. The flowers are very fragrant and it fruits freely, albeit with potentially quite small fruits. But mini lemon slices look brilliant in drinks. :)

Citrus might survive mild winters in a sheltered position, but they are much better as houseplants. Frequent misting with water will help to keep spider mites at bay and the plant thriving. They need a large pot compared to the size of the plant.

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,322
      Hi It needs full sunshine and likes being outside from the start of june when all fear off the frosts are over make sure you water weekly and I feed mine with tomato feed ... they need a cool frost free greehouse over winter or a porch they hate central heating and they will let you know with dropping off its leaves , keep on the dryside over winter but not bone dry ... best in a pot ... it wont survive our winters .. pinch the growing tips out to keep it bushey

Spruce

• xf8u39

xf8u39 Gardener

Mechanical Designer
      Ratings:
      +14
      Cheers guys, points taken.
      I will re pot this tree in a larger pot and keep indoors, much to wifes displeasure.
      She wanted it out in the front garden so I m going to have to look for an alternative tree, however, trying to persuade her of this is no easy task.

I had a small apple tree in the back garden last year that wasn't doing too well, so I took it down. As a consequence The amount of earache I got you would have to hear to believe.
      She is very emmotional about anything I plant.

On a different note, please see attache image of a couple of lemon trees I grew from seed about 2 years ago. They have been sat on a north facing window sill with no direct sunlight and seem to be doing ok so far.
      Any ideas on the growth rate?

Rgds
      Michael.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    • 2nd_bassoon

2nd_bassoon Super Gardener

Vet
      Ratings:
      +1,840
      Do you know what sort of lemon it is? I have a Meyer lemon that lives outside in a pot and only needs to come in on the very coldest nights (< freezing) - it only spent one night indoors all of last winter, though we are a bit of an urban micro climate - and we get fruit off it each year. So a compromise could be it lives in the front garden like your wife wants, but in a large-ish pot so you've got the back-up option of bringing it inside during cold snaps?