1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Leucospermum problem

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Perki, Nov 5, 2021.

1. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,509
    The tips on my Leucospermum having been going brown . The plant has been outside all summer and into the greenhouse through the majority of October, I put it down to poor circulation originally with it being in the GH not liking the Humid temperatures so I moved it closer to the open door ( fluctuating temperatures ? ) , its in the House now ( south facing window ) and has been for the past 10 days which doesn't seem to of halted the problem . I have been nipping the brown stems out but I'd like to know if anybody has any other opinion on the matter.

Not the best of pictures but on the top pic you can see where the stem has died back and leaves
    DSC02634.JPG DSC02635.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,035
      Must admit mine isn't looking great atm but I'm putting it down to not watering enough during the summer, they seem to be quite thirsty plants in a pot.

Yours looks like the new shoots are dying back, its a bit worrying as they should be budding up now for next years flowers.

Mine is still outside in a sheltered position and I fed and watered it today, it was pretty dry.

Have you got new white roots coming out of the bottom of the pot?
      If not I'd check by up ending it and have a look at the rootball.

They are tougher than we tend to think, and they hate a stuffy atmosphere.

• Like Like x 1
      • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +8,509
        I am a bit on the fence by the cause could be a number of things . I had a quick look at the fibres roots and them seem fine white / pinky colour . I've noticed these brown patches on the stems but didn't think much of them at the time and still don't. I've cut watering right back after going in the greenhouse I was under the impression don't water them in the colder months. But after seeing the wilting stem today I've give it a little drink , think I may increase the watering for the moment. I've practically lost all the very soft new growth on every stem which I assume are probably flowers next spring, you can see the growth this year ( shed roof line up ). It seemed quite happy outside even with the high rainfall here .

DSC02636.JPG

DSC02637.JPG

• pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,035
        That new furry growth looks really healthy.
        The new growth mine put out in the summer has now ripened and is forming what I hope are flower buds, although it looks a bit yellow to be honest.

Did you have it in full sun all summer?
        Just wondering, did it get a frost at some point during the period when the growth was still very soft..

Or could it possibly be too much wet weather and a rotting of the new unripe growth.

• Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
        Ratings:
        +50,919
        This is embarrasing. I had my 'Tango' in part shade and decided it needed more sun. It went from this ...
        Protea 27 Jul 22.jpg
        ... to this ...
        Protea 1 Nov 22.jpg

It has been cut back to about four inches. The stem is still green. It was watered daily in the Summer. Will it survive? What conditions does it prefer?

• Informative Informative x 1
        • pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +86,035
          It should take full sun easy at this time of the year, and in summer once established, but if its not used to it you really need to do it gradually, especially a small soft looking plant like that.

• Informative Informative x 1