1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Leylandii

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Larrybone, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Larrybone

Larrybone Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone. We planted a row of leylandii in April. Trust me.....its absolutely necessary that we have a quick growing thick hedge. We're aiming for a 6 foot hedge and we're fully aware of the need for ongoing maintenance.

What we need to know is when do we first start trimming back? Is it too soon? Do we wait until next year? They're about 3-3.5 feet so far.

TIA

2. JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Hi Larry, I would give them a light trim around about now just on the sides.
    I'd aim to maintain a nice taper so that the hedge will always be narrower at the top than at the bottom.
    If you ever encounter snow in the future it'll support the weight better that way.
    If you keep the shape early on, then a nicely shaped 6ft hedge will soon evolve.
    Left unchecked you could end up with a patchy result because if you cut into 'old wood' later there won't be any fresh shoots.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Larrybone

Larrybone Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Thank you JR. Any other tips would be most welcome. Most people seem to hate leylandii.....but its absolutely necessary in our situation.

• Like Like x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,617
        What is always worrying with Leylandii is how close they are planted to buildings, water supply and sewers. I've had problems with them in the past and wouldn't plant them within 40ft of any of the above.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
          Ratings:
          +2,381
          I fully agree with Sheal, and you'll also find that nothing else will grow much in your garden for several metres from the hedge.
          Leylandii suck up every drop of water once established....the surrounding garden will become dust dry.
          But if you are blocking out a factory or similar, and you've got 'acres' of space then fair enough.

• Agree Agree x 3
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,527
            There are a couple of things that grow quite well in the Leylandii desert and they are ivy and Vinca. I'd vote against having ivy but Vinca can be a reasonable ground cover.

• Agree Agree x 2
            • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
              Ratings:
              +2,381
              That takes me back.. I had a very nice vinca major varigata growing near a specimen conifer years ago and it did grow well.

• Like Like x 2