1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lonicera nitida 'Baggesen's Gold' reducing

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by tramsden, Mar 14, 2016.

1. tramsden

tramsden Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm a very basic Gardner with very basic knowledge so bear with me..

I have a mature Lonicera nitida Baggesens gold which is beautiful but has grown way too big for my small garden. It's about 5 feet in diameter and about 4 feet high. I don't want to get rid of it but it needs reducing. Can I literally cut it in half ? I ideally would like to get inside it and cut away the left half of the bush. Obviously I would be left with a side that had no leaves at all, but would leaves grow again for next year?

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Useful Useful x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,963
      I've cut back the ordinary green version of Lonicera nitida pretty hard in the past, and it always comes back good.:smile:

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +21,786
      Chop it, it will be fine.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,152
      Yes they can take hard pruning and grow back just as quickly.

• Tattianna

Tattianna Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +14
      I have one of these plants which got far too big due to us being too afraid to get to grips with it and keep it in check. Last year I decided that we should take it right back to a more manageable size for our small garden and if it didn't recover it would just have to go. We took it back to almost half it's size and yes it did look rather bald and sparse but it wasn't long before new growth began to emerge and it is looking pretty good now.

• Useful Useful x 1
      • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,830
        I agree with the others who have said it is fine to cut it back. Think of how honeysuckle grows in the wild. In the dappled shade of woodland it can grow up to the sunny treetops but in a hedge it is regularly cut and still scrambles and flowers. I'm pretty sure if you cut it hard now it will flower this year.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,479
          I have the gold one as well and use my hedge cutter to keep it under control. It still grows back like mad! I'm not sure how far you want to cut it back in one go but I'd take a good foot or so off it all round and see how it looks. You can always cut more off if it's not enough.