1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Look out Alice, Dave W,Scotkat,Snowbaby Etc.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Phil A, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Oh no..!! :DOH: Well 'tis still early Feb though.... :WINK1: Look out all...

3. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,612
    I was getting jealous because everyone is getting there seeds under way. I don't usually start mine until the beginning of March because of the area I live in, but snow is forecast again, am I glad I held off. :)

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Most of mine are underway Sheal, just have to take protection into account a bit more if the cold weather is coming back. Remember what it was like this time last year.:DOH:

5. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Ah well. back to hibernation and looking through the Seed Catalogues!!

6. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    [size=large]Thanks for the warning Ziggy.
    But Alice and Co have been around for a while.
    Lesson learned - don't plant too early and don't plant unless you have suitable conditions to raise plants on.
    I have a big, heated conservatory (I live in it).
    It's like having a greenhouse heated to 20 degrees. (Costs about the same [/size]:mad:)
    [size=large]I can live with all the plants all round about me and have the time to put them in and out to harden off.
    Sweet natured husband never complains about anything [/size]:wub2:
    [size=x-large]But Please, NO MORE SNOW !!!!![/size]

7. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    They don't mention the South of England!!! :yahoo:

Val

8. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll contact the met office & get them to put a "somebody elses problem field" around your plot Alice :thumbsup: That'll keep it off:dbgrtmb:

9. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Thanks a bundle Ziggy!!:heehee:

There was snow on the hills across the river from us just a few days ago and the temperature here hasn't hit double figures for the past couple of weeks. I lifted the cover on the compost heap yesterday and there were still bits of ice under it.
    I'm like Alice, I learned a while ago thats it's better to delay sowing for a month rather than sow too soon and then have to do it again. Most of my sowing starts in mid March though I'll sow my greenhouse toms next week and bring them on indoors until April.

The Met Office forecast for here -
    Cloudy with patchy rain on Friday. Cloudy with rain and snow on Saturday. Rain at first on Sunday then brighter for a time but more rain later.

10. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,612
    I live on the Isle of Man Ziggy. Snow what's that! We tend to miss out on most of it but ice and frost is a problem this time of year. Our spring tends to start a little later which is why I hold off on the seeds. Daffs are up about four inches and my tiny snowdrops are only just showing buds, but I think they are a late variety anyway.

11. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey Sheal,

For some unknown reason I thought you were in East Anglia :DOH:

I bought my solar evacuated tubes from a nice man called Andy from the Isle of Man. It was cheaper to buy them off him than to buy them in our local town :DOH:

You must have some unique wild plants growing there, do share, we would be very interested :thumbsup:

12. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,612
    Your not far off the mark Ziggy. I was born and reared in Essex and moved to the island nineteen years ago. It's beautiful here, if you don't mind the rain it's well worth a visit.

I'm not up to much on the wild flower side of things, but we do have a Manx fuschia that grows in hedge form, stunning when it's in full bloom.

On the wildlife side you might like to know we have wallaby's living wild here, goats to. We also have a fairly good polecat population. What the island hasn't got are snakes, squirrels and foxes, I think Ireland is the same.:)