1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved Looking for help identifying these hedges!

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by greenasthegrass, Apr 17, 2018.

1. greenasthegrass

greenasthegrass Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    Hahaha! Well it certainly sounds hardy then!!! I am going to spend the day in the garden tomorrow - so I think I might have a good look for nests as you suggest and if its clear make a start on it - I was out there earlier and had a look - there were lots of birds in the hedge but I couldn't see any nests - I can have a proper look tomorrow. Thanks for your advice.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • greenasthegrass

Ratings:
      +11
      So @martin-f I took your advice and spent Sunday pruning the hedge back hard. As you predicted there were no nests. It has made a huge difference to the garden - looks almost double the size!!! And i am sure the neighbours will be glad to have some sun in their garden now!

It's all looking quite bald right now - but I'm hoping it will start regenerating now the weather is getting good.

• Like Like x 1
      • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
        +10,302
        Great :) it will come back but you might not see much growth this year i cut my in laws completely bold last year and its just come back to a nice green hedge in the last few weeks :),

Please posts a few pictures up it will by nice to look back in a few years and see how things have progressed.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • greenasthegrass

Ratings:
          +11
          So here is the bald hedge! This evening I built a bonfire and burned all the cuttings so the garden is mostly clear now. Then I can start thinking about what to do with all the space!
          IMG-20180423-WA0004.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
          • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
            +10,302
            Hi that looks better, get a border dug in and some plants in it ? if you say what sort of sun the area gets through the day the more advance gardeners will help you choose plants for the area.

• greenasthegrass

Ratings:
            +11
            Thanks! The hedge faces directly south so gets full sun throughout the day.