1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for some options . . . .

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Coupe2T, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

I am currently starting a project in the garden, but I am very new to gardening.

I have built some large planters from some timber sleepers, so fro a planting area I have about 2.2m in length, with a depth from front to back of about 80cm. (30cm deep soil, give or take)

I was hoping I could put some trellis to the back of the planter with some climbers, and then have some smaller plants towards the front, but I don't really know what sort of options I might have and whether the depth would be enough to allow such a thing.

I was thinking maybe some near thornless roses to go up the climbers and provide some nice colour in the summer without creating too much of a pain point for the kids, maybe some Ghislaine de Feligonde or something similar from a google search (Far from in depth, but as an example), then some smaller multi coloured flowering plants in front.

What would people recommend, is this viable or would that be too much in one space?

If it's too much then I may just put the trellis in the middle and go with something like the thornless roses, but not sure on best approach?

Many thanks

C

• Like Like x 1
    • SandyNI

SandyNI Gardener

Ratings:
      +253
      I probably know less than you... but from my limited experience (a year!).... I've grown 4 clematis this year and can't believe how quickly they grow and flower. The Hagley Hybrid has gone from less than a foot tall to over 6ft and producing the most amazing large blooms. I've grown bedding plants for the first time this year and the easiest and most indestructable were allysum and antirrhinum.Out of 120 seedlings, I didn't lose one!

• Like Like x 1
      • Coupe2T

Ratings:
        +1
        Thanks, I will have a look, I am worried about the co-habitation in the planter as to whether it will be too much, or whether there are things that can and can't be grown together well.

I suspect I most certainly know less than you! haha.

• SandyNI

SandyNI Gardener

Ratings:
        +253
        The advice I read about clematis is it's a good idea to place plants around the base to protect it's feet from the sun.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Coupe2T

Ratings:
          +1
          Good to know! Hopefully be ok then! :dunno: