1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Low Cost Automatic Waterer for Outdoor or Greenhouse

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by dimsey, May 9, 2011.

1. dimsey

dimsey Apprentice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3
    I plan to be away from home for 3-4 weeks, and had bought citrus plants for my lean-to. So I created a very low cost waterer (about £8. including demi-john). It consists of a demi-john part filled with water, inlet and outlet pipes through a non-porous bung. The outlet and inlet are controlled by non-return valves (pet fish anti-syphon valves). As the days temperature increases water is pumped by air expansion from the demi-john towards the plant. As the day cools in the evening water is sucked from a reservoir by the air contracting. I've a number now, with delivery from 50 to 300ml per day.
    A nice feature is that on cool days less is pumped and the night gives time for drainage to occur. By altering the volume of air trapped in the demi-john, you alter the volume delivered per day.
    I use it indoors and outdoors

I noticed a few postings about absent watering and so for me, this is my solution.

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,497
    Sounds a very good idea :dbgrtmb: but I'm not at all technical. :DOH:

Some of the people on here are definitely technical and I'm sure would find it worth having a go at.

3. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,808
    Sounds excellent to me! Could you do a simple how-to guide on building it with pics? Lots of people will appreciate this technique

4. dimsey

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3
    Low Cost Automatic Waterer #2

Here's a photo, also in album at higher resolution, of my set up. The reservoir is on the left, a 5l.water bottle calibrated, for my convenience, from the neck down, in litres. The demi-john is in the middle, and the plant on the right.
    Demi-john; I tried cork, rubber and silicone, the best is silicone. Drills easily, grips and seals. Rubber too hard needs grease and slips out. Cork too porous unless liberally coated with vaseline and pipe needed epoxy to seal in drilled holes. Metal tube is 4mm. brass, easily bent if heated to dull red in gas flame and quenched in cold water. Matching silicone tubing gives good seal to pipe.
    At the ends of the tubing in the demi-john are 2 anti-syphon valves (2£ max. at pet fish store)
    At the end of the tubing in the reservoir is an air bubbler(£0.5), acts as filter to prevent grot jamming non-return valves. To the plant I use loose fitting bigger vinyl tubing fixed at the plant end by a scrap piece of the brass tubing.
    By the way the diagonal line marked on the demi-john is a vernier level/temperature indicator, so you can see at a glance how much water has been pumped.
    This particular set-up gives me 200ml/day with lean-to going from 15deg.C to 35deg.C during the day.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +21,808
      You are quite the engineer! might have to grab a demijohn and visit the fish shop:)

• NewGardener

NewGardener Gardener

Ratings:
      +8
      Think I may also have a crack at that :)

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,169
      It's a great idea, I'm already searching freecycle for demi-johns and found some non-return valves on ebay.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Sounds like a really good idea, Shiney, and I might have a try of putting it together and using it. But it's a bit of a abuse of a demijohn when you can put it to better use by making wine with it:D:cheers::hapfeet:

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,497
      ARMANDII,
      John hasn't even half complained about the unorthodox use of a demi-john so I don't think that you need be concerned. :yahoo:

• dimsey

Retired
      Ratings:
      +3
      Well ARMANDII these demi-johns were used to make wine but I don't think the flavour taint lasts for 30 years.

• dimsey

Retired
      Ratings:
      +3
      Well Shiney, you could do both. Ferment the wine and use the carbon dioxide generated to push water to the plant!!