1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Main Courses (Veggie, Poultry, Beef, Lamb, Pork etc)

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Fat Controller, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,622
    If you are posting a recipe in this section, please mark your post with what kind of main (eg Veggie, Poultry, Beef, Lamb, Pork etc) to help anyone searching.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,402
      Here goes.....Tartiflette...can be a hearty main course or side dish in small portions. (Forgive me the metric quantities!! And the general unhealthiness. You're supposed to run around a mountain afterwards ;-)) 1kg waxy potatoes, peeled and cubed, a little cooking oil, 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced, 1 pkt smoked streaky or back bacon, cut into strips. 1 cup white wine, 1 cup single cream, 1 whole camembert (or reblochon cheese if available), sliced horizontally.

Gently fry the bacon strips in a large, ovenproof pan. Remove from pan, add a little oil if necessary and fry the onions until soft but not browned. Add the potato cubes and fry gently for 5 minutes. Add the bacon, wine and cream to the pan, season with black pepper, cover pan and simmer for 10 minutes. Then top with the cheese, crust side down, cover pan and bake in the oven around 180C for 15 minutes. Remove lid and cook for a further 10 minutes until golden and bubbling. Serve with green salad (ha!), sausages or more white wine (hic). Bon appetit ;)

• Like Like x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,524
        Lamb

SHINEY'S MORROCAN STYLE MARINATED LAMB

1 large leg of lamb ( remove skin and fat to allow marinade to penetrate better )
        1 Tbs. cumin seed
        1 Tbs. coriander seed
        ½ Tbs. black peppercorns
        3 Tbs. olive oil
        4 garlic cloves - crushed
        2" fresh ginger - grated
        1 tsp. salt
        2 tsp. brown sugar (optional, I don’t use it)
        2 Tbs. cold water
        1½ Tbs. paprika

Dry roast the cumin and coriander in a pre-heated frying pan. ( Don’t over roast them - they are done when the cumin starts jumping and spitting – or burning if you leave it too long.) Grind the spices and black pepper in a coffee grinder or with mortar and pestle.

Put oil in a bowl then add garlic, ginger, salt and sugar and mix. Add ground spices and pepper and mix. Add water and paprika and mix. This will become a thick paste so that it should not slide off the joint. If the paste is too thin, add more paprika. If too thick add more water.

Make small cuts in the lamb then coat the joint with the paste. Marinate for as long as possible ( 4 hours is o.k., 24 hours is good and 48 hours is best - if leaving for more than 4 hours cover the dish very well with foil and put in fridge ). Turn the joint over at least once during the marinating time.

One nice variation is to add 1- 1½ ozs of ground almonds to the marinade.

Roast in the normal way but it is best to keep the lamb covered with the foil during cooking and uncover for the last 15 minutes. If having roast potatoes as well – keep dish covered until potatoes need to go in then remove foil from the dish and just wrap it over the top of the joint. I usually cook it on Gas Mark 5, 190C.

The lamb will carve better if you let it stand for at least ten minutes - carve the slices fairly thickly.

Serving suggestions:-

with roast potatoes ( roasted with the lamb )
        with lightly flavoured rice ( add a few raisins - optional )
        selection of your favourite vegetables

salads:- olive and orange salad with spring onions
        avocado and fennel with an orange juice flavoured dressing
        mixed green - with lettuce, cucumber, fennel, celery and green apple

• Like Like x 5
        • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
          Ratings:
          +12,508
          CHICKEN

Not really a recipe as such, just something I like to throw together.

1 chicken breast, cut up into chunks
          1 onion, sliced(and garlic, if you like)
          60 grams pasta
          Broccoli (I use half - chopped)
          Around 100 grams mushrooms
          1 Tbs Pesto (either sun dried tomato or the regular)

Basically, just fry up the chicken, onion and mushrooms, whilst boiling/steaming the broccoli and pasta. Once cooked, chuck it all together, stir in the pesto and enjoy, I do :)

• Like Like x 4
            Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
          • Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +49,622
            CHICKEN

The three day chicken......

Day 1:

1 large chicken
            Parsnips (quantity as you wish)
            Carrots (quantity as you wish)
            1 Onion
            Garlic (1 or 2 cloves, crushed/minced)
            Pack of Sage & Onion Stuffing mix (I use Sainsburys mid-size pack, as it is only pennies and you get a good quantity)
            1 Celery stick
            Chestnuts (10 or so)
            Potatoes
            Stock cubes (chicken & vegetable)
            Crushed chillies
            Butter
            White pepper

Finely chop the onion and the celery and melt a good knob of butter on a low to medium heat; add the onions and celery and gently cook until the onions soften - add the crushed garlic and a pinch of crushed chilies (vary the amount depending on your tastes) a few minutes after the onion and celery.

Make the stuffing according to the packet instructions. Once the onions etc are softened, add them to the stuffing mix (including any butter that might be in the pan) and mix through; allow to cool a bit and then pop it into the fridge as it is easier to make into balls when it is cool.

Put the chicken in to roast at 180º; meantime, peel and cut up potatoes and put them in a pot of water to boil; as the water heats, add stock cubes and then parboil the potatoes in the stock. Remove the potatoes once they are softened, but retain the stock. Set the potatoes aside and let them dry a bit. Prepare your parsnips for roasting, and your carrots for boiling.

Heat your chosen roasting oil or fat in the oven, then chuff the edges of the potatoes up to help them get nice and crispy. Coat them liberally with the roasting oil, and pop them into the oven - baste and turn regularly.

Make the stuffing into balls (golf ball size) and roast half of them for about 20 mins (wrap/cover the other half of them and keep them in the fridge for tomorrow) - remember to take the chicken out to rest. Boil the carrots in the stock that you retained earlier, then once they are done, remove them from the stock and add butter and ground white pepper and coat the carrots liberally.

Reserve chicken juices from roasting into a jug, and cool. Use the retained stock from the veggies to deglaze the roasting tin, putting the resulting flavours back in with the veggie stock and then make the stock into a gravy (add flour, butter, wine etc as you wish).

Serve half the chicken with the stuffing, roasties and veggies and save the other half for tomorrow. Enjoy.

Day 2:

Parsnips
            Carrots
            Onion
            Potato or sweet potato
            Mixed herbs
            Garlic (couple of cloves, crushed)
            Butter
            Oil

Remove the other half of the chicken meat from the bird, carve it, and place it in a microwaveable container, then make a light chicken stock (one cube should be sufficient), cover the meat with the stock, and then put a cover over the container to be thoroughly reheated when required.

Put the remainder of the chicken carcass into a large pot, fill with water and put it on to boil.

Chop the veggies into chunks, then heat the butter and oil in a pot (not too high a heat), then add the garlic and the mixed herbs and mix through - add any seasoning you wish too. Put the veggies into a big bowl or pot and then add the butter/oil mixture and give everything a good rumble about to coat in the oil. Transfer the veggies to a baking sheet/tray and roast in the oven for half an hour or so. Remember to add the other half of the stuffing balls you made yesterday. Serve with your choice of gravy, bread sauce etc.

Put the stock that was used for reheating the chicken into the pot with the chicken carcass bubbling away. Once this has cooked for a while (45 mins or so), pour through a sieve catching all the fluid into a fresh pot or suitable sized jug. Strip the chicken carcass of all remaining meat, which should just fall off now, break it into smallish bits and pop it into the new pot/jug - pop it into the fridge.

Day 3:

1 Onion, flnely chopped
            1 Celery stick, finely chopped
            2 carrots, grated
            1 leek, finely sliced
            ½ Swede, cubed
            1 large waxy potato, cubed
            Frozen peas - a good handful
            Garlic (2 or 3 cloves, crushed)
            Mixed herbs
            Crushed chillies
            Butter & oil
            Salt
            Freshly ground black pepper

Heat the butter and oil over a low to moderate heat, then add the onion, herbs, a pinch of crushed chillies, celery and leek to the pot and cook gently until softened. Add the carrots, garlic and then the jug of chicken goodness (remove the fat from the top if there is any, and discard) from yesterday, then bring to the boil - add a stock cube or two if the taste isn't quite what you want. Add the swede, potato and peas and continue to cook over a moderate heat. Season as you wish with salt and freshly ground pepper, and serve with crusty bread or homemade croutons.

• Like Like x 1
            • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +5,414
              Beef Casserole

As I have said previously, my cooking skills are limited. After a while you get to know which ingredients work well together. Although I don’t cook that often, I do try to keep my stock of ingredients topped up. I generally then just throw everything in a big pot.

On this occasion I used (without measuring anything)

Diced beef
              Onion
              Butter
              Beef stock pot
              Summer fruits juice (the one supermarkets sell in 2l plastic cartons)
              Plain flour (to thicken sauce)
              Tomato ketchup (I used to use tomato paste but the tube got really sticky)
              Balsamic vinegar
              Worcestershire sauce
              Soy sauce
              Garlic Pepper
              Rosemary
              Thyme
              Coriander
              Frozen vegetables
              (I would have added mushrooms but I didn’t have any to hand)

I then cooked it at gas 3 for 2 hours with the lid on then another 20 mins or so with the lid off. I have no idea whether taking the lid off made any difference. It came out as I wanted so that’s all that mattered.

This was served with roast potatoes. I would have had roasted parsnips and Yorkshire pudding too but again I didn’t have any and I forgot to add them to my shopping list. :noidea:

G.

• Like Like x 2
                Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
              • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                Ratings:
                +49,622
                Very interesting to see your use of summer fruits juice in there @Jack Sparrow - I assume that it mainly adds sweetness?

• Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
                +5,414
                I find red wine leaves a harsh taste. With the fruit juice you get the fruitiness without the bitterness. I once followed a recipe that told me to slow cook a gammon joint in red wine. It was horrible. I won’t be doing that again.

I have no problem cooking chicken in white wine. Remove the chicken. Reduce the juices. Mix in double cream. Heavenly. Creme fraiche works too if you want to be healthy.

I have in the past slow cooked pork in apple juice. I must say it’s not my favourite. Pork cooked in cider is the best.

G.

• Like Like x 2
                • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                  Ratings:
                  +49,622
                  I often cook with wine..........

Sometimes I even put it in the food :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
                  • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                    Ratings:
                    +118,524
                    I cook some things with a little wine - even though I'm teetotal. Too much wine can make it bitter. @Fat Controller's formula is quite a good one - 'one for the pot, six for me' :blue thumb:

• Agree Agree x 2
                    • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
                      Ratings:
                      +3,699
                      Mexican Breakfast "huevos rancheros"

There are more recipes for this dish than there are sombrero's. Here is my simple version, spicy without being hot.

Serves 2
                      Difficulty: Easy

One Chorizo, sliced
                      One small to medium onion sliced
                      3-4 cloves garlic
                      Pre boiled potatoes for two
                      1 Can chopped tomatoes
                      4 eggs

Gently fry the sliced Chorizo in a little oil in a shallow pan that you have a lid for, fat and spices will leach out of it, this is what you want.

Add the onion and garlic and cook till soft.

Add the potatoes and toss in the pan to coat with the spices and oil.

Add the tomatoes, stir in then heat through.

Make a well (depression) in the top of the sauce and crack an egg into it, do this four times and put the lid on.

After a few minutes removed the lid and serve.

Very simple tasty meal, this is just a base you can customise to your own taste. In the summer I will use peppers and tomatoes from my allotment, you could use broad beans or chick peas instead of the potatoes or all together. Try some hot smoked paprika or Cayenne pepper or add your favourite variety of chilles. The world is your oyster, make it yours!

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 4
                      • Creative Creative x 1
                      • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +14,402
                        Errr......this seems to be a common misperception in the UK. Crême fraiche is double cream with added citric acid to make it thicker and give it a 'twang'. Like soured cream but with a much higher fat content. The only dairy products that are truly low-fat are fromage frais and cottage cheese. Just sayin' ;):)

• Agree Agree x 2
                        • Like Like x 1
                        • SunWorshiper

SunWorshiper Gardener

Ratings:
                          +49
                          Slow Cooker Lasagne

500 gms beef mince
                          some bacon lardons or minced italian sausage
                          tomato puree
                          Italian tomato sauce/passetta
                          onion chopped
                          garlic 2 cloves crushed
                          2 table spoons granulated sugar
                          1.5 tea spoon Italian spice
                          1 Tea Spoon oregano
                          2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
                          tub of cottage cheese
                          packet of grated mozzarella
                          grated Parmesan, one cup
                          salt and ground black pepper
                          lasagna sheets

brown the mince , bacon,onion and garlic for about 5 minutes or so , then add the spices, tom puree and sauce , Worcestershire sauce, sugar , salt and pepper bring to boil then simmer for about 20 minutes , stirring regularly if it looks too thick of a sauce add a bit of hot water. in the meantime mix together the cottage cheese, mozzarella and parmesan , save some mozzarella for the top .Once it has simmered , place a layer of the meat sauce into the bottom of your slow cooker then layer with sheet of lasagna , break in two if needed to make sure all is covered , then spread a layer of the cheese sauce over , then more lasagna , then meat sauce etc until you come to one layer of the last of the meat sauce , then sprinkle over the rest of the mozzeralla , put on low and cook for 4 -6 hours .

here is a picture of my lasagna this week , it tastes delish!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
                            Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
                          • Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
                            +5,414
                            Why are things like lasagne listed as “xxx al forno” in restaurants? Doesn’t that mean - baked in the oven? How else would you make them?

G.

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
                            Ratings:
                            +3,699
                            Some dishes are assembled to order depending on how that particular restaurant works. So a lasagne pasta could be rolled fresh, cooked for a few minutes in boiling water, then assembled into a lasagne using hot sauces, the newly assembled dish then goes under a salamander (grill) for a few seconds to brown/crisp the top. Salamanders are incredibly powerful and fast.

Al Forno as you said means cooked in the oven, the traditional way of making it.

The advantage of preparing dishes to order means less food wastage and better portion control which helps a kitchen keep a tight rein on food cost. So rather than preparing and cooking 40 individual lasagnes and selling only 10, you just make up 10, as the orders come in. That way there is not 30 leftover lasagnes to be re-heated in the next service or worse still to be thrown away. Who wants re-heats, not me!

Steve...:)

• Agree Agree x 1
                            • Informative Informative x 1